The minister of Anstruther Easter adhered to the Free Church in 1843, and formed the Free Church congregation. A church was built in 1843-44. A new church was erected in 1858, and a manse in 1863. A third church was built in 1891, through the interest and liberality of Stephen Williamson of Liverpool, a native of Anstruther, who, that same year, presented a new manse to the congregation.
William Ferrie, M.A., 1843-1850
Alexander Gregory, M.A., 1851-1888
A. G. Macalpine, 1884 — [Vol.1 says 1883.]
In April 1844 supply was arranged for this district, and a church was built, and opened in 1845. A manse also was provided. Partly on account of efforts to unite Pittenweem with this congregation, the charge was not sanctioned till 1851.
W. M’Culloch, 1851-1864
R. A. Mitchell, 1864-1869
James Mellis, M.A., 1869-1879
F. R. Barry, 1879-1883
R. H. Falconer, 1884 — .
Immediately after the Disruption the congregation here was organised, and supply provided. At first worship was conducted in a small hall in Rosewynd, afterwards used for school and prayer meetings. The charge was sanctioned in 1845, when the new church was opened. The manse was built in 1848.
John Hendry, 1845-1864
Andrew Keay, 1864-1872
Andrew Ryrie, 1873-1874
John Jackson, 1874 — .
In response to a petition from Free Church residents the congregation here was organised in June 1844. The church was erected that year. Adherents from St. Monance worshipped here till 1877, when a preaching station was established there, as a result of work carried on by the Elie congregation. The manse was bequeathed to the congregation by Mr. Wood in 1882. A new church was erected in 1887, subscribed for largely by friends of Mr. Wood, and called the “Wood Memorial Church.” Latterly Elie became a fashionable health resort.
Walter Wood, M.A., 1845-1882
J. H. Miller, M.A., 1895 — .
The minister here, with a large congregation, “came out” in 1843. The church was built, and opened in October of that year. A manse was also provided. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1866.
1848,450: 1900, 472.
W. Nicolson, D.D., 1843-1844
W. P. Falconer, 1845-1886
Thomas Scott, 1886-1890 [Left in 1891 according to Vol.1.]
R. S. Anderson, M.A., 1890-1897
H. R. Mackintosh, D.D., 1897 — .
The minister of the parish, and a large portion of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped in a wooden structure until the church was opened in May 1844. It was renovated and reroofed in 1862. It was again greatly altered and partly rebuilt in 1879. The manse, erected in 1846, was enlarged in 1890. Generous friends of the congregation in early days were Mr. Wyld of Gilston and Mr. Millie of Balhousie, and, in later times, Mr. W. Wood, an elder in the congregation, who left bequests for the Sustentation Fund and for the poor. From 1884 mission work was conducted in the district of New Gilston, the use of a hall being granted by Mr. S. Shepherd, one of the elders, rent free.
R. Lundin Brown, 1843-1877
William Bruce, 1871 — .
Vol.1 says that James Beattie the Original Secession minister in Balmullo, Fife, joined the Free Church with the majority of his congregation, 1852. Ewing does not seem to give an account of this congregation.
James Beattie, 1852-1859]
Immediately after the Disruption a congregation was organised here, and supply provided. The church was erected in 1844. A manse also was provided.
A. Cleghorn, 1845-1887
William Broom, 1883 — .
Charles Nairn, minister of Forgan parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The church and manse were erected at Newport in 1844. A new church was built in 1869. Originally a small Fife village, Newport became a suburb of Dundee. This brought increase of membership. The church at Wormit was an offshoot from Newport.
Charles Nairn, 1843-1846
John Nelson, D.D., 1846-1850 [Vol.1 and under Greenock – West says he was translated in 1851.]
Neil MacLeod, D.D., 1851-1895
F. J. Rae, M.A., 1891 — .
A congregation was organised here immediately after the Disruption. Church, manse, and mission hall were all erected forthwith. Dr. Hetherington, the first minister, was called upon to superintend the theological studies of Free Church students in the University. To set him free for this duty a colleague was appointed. This arrangement was terminated by Dr. Hetherington’s removal to Edinburgh.
W. Hetherington, D.D., 1844-1848
John Ainslie, D.D., 1847-1895 [Vol.1 says he retired in 1876 and died in 1895.]
Lewis Davidson, D.D., 1878-1884
J. F. M’Rae, 1884-1891
James Ferguson, B.D., 1892 — .
Services were begun in St. Monance in September 1869, under charge of the kirk session of Elie. The church was built in 1870. The charge was sanctioned in 1878. The manse was erected in 1880.
H. Fraser, 1878-1889
C. D. Paton, M.A., 1890-1895
J. M’Gregor, 1895 — .
This congregation, formerly Original Secession, joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, and “came out” in 1843, taking their property with them. The minister had been appointed by the Colonial Committee to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and was loosed from his charge on May 10, 1843. His successor was settled in December following. A new church was erected in 1867.
Ralph Robb, 1843
Adam Thorburn, 1843-1855
J. B. Irvine, 1856 —
William Henry, 1898 — .
TAYPORT See FERRY-PORT-ON-CRAIG.
This congregation originated in 1895 as a preaching station in connection with Newport, when a small hall was built. In 1898 it was united with the preaching station of the United Presbyterian Church, and sanctioned as a congregation of the Free Church of Scotland. The church was erected in 1900. After the opening of the Tay Bridge, Wormit developed rapidly for some years as a suburb of Dundee.
John A. Tweedie, 1898 — .
The minister of Airlie, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The church was built at once, and the manse a little later. The population, as in other country districts, tended to decrease.
David White, 1843-1873
J. F. Linn, M.A-, 1872 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption, Glenisia as well as Alyth being put in charge of the session. The church was erected forthwith, and manse, school, and teacher’s house were also provided. The congregation at Glenisla was not formed till 1849. The population tended to decrease, and the burning of part of the local factory deprived some three hundred of occupation, causing them to leave the district.
Archibald Ferguson, 1843-1898
James Webster, B.D., 1894 — .
The minister of the parish, and a large proportion of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. For some months they worshipped in a tent in the Glebe Park. The church was opened in November 1843. The manse was built that year in Newton Terrace. School buildings were also provided, which subsequently were used as church halls. In 1857 the congregation split over the election of a minister, the minority forming a new congregation—the South Free. The manse was enlarged in 1894. The failure of local industries, which began about 1890, affected adversely all the churches.
Robert Macdonald, D.D., 1843-1857
John Baxter, D.D., 1858-1893
W. Muir, B.D., B.L., 1894 — .
This congregation was formed by those who seceded from the First Free church in 1857. The charge was sanctioned in 1858, and in December of that year the church was opened. A manse was also provided.
Robert Taylor, 1858-1864
C. G. M’Crie, D.D., 1864-1873
Malcolm White, M.A., 1873 — .
This congregation was formed immediately after the Disruption. The church was opened in December 1843. The manse was built in 1845. A school was also provided. Halls were erected in 1880, towards the cost of which were applied the proceeds of the sale of the Free Church school. There was a gradual decline of the population.
Thomas Bain, M.A., 1843-1884
James Masson, 1884 —
John Linton, M.A., 1898 — .
A congregation was formed here soon after the Disruption. Regular services were provided in October 1843. The congregation worshipped in Cray House barn until the church was opened in the spring of 1844. The manse was built in 1845. The church was renovated and a bell tower added in 1864, through the generosity of Mr. Robertson of Dalnagas. The manse was enlarged in 1866. The congregation at first served the districts of Blackwater, Glenshee, and part of Glenisla.
William Brown, 1844-1853
James Robertson, 1853-1896
Charles Swanson, 1894 — .
This congregation was organised in 1849, when the great body of the people in Glenisla left the Established Church and joined the Free Church of Scotland. The church was erected and the charge was sanctioned that same year. The manse was erected in 1852. Depopulation, and changes in the parish, account for the decline in membership.
J. W. Simpson, M.A., 1850-1886
Andrew Goldie, M.A., 1886 — .
The people in this district, almost in a body, “came out” at the Disruption, and formed the Free Church congregation. Church and manse were built in 1843. A new church was erected in 1890 on the old site, and called the “Duff Memorial,” in memory of Dr. Duff, the famous missionary, who received part of his education at Kirkmichael school. The population seriously declined, but the district attracted many visitors in summer and autumn. Originally in the Presbytery of Dunkeld, Kirkmichael was transferred to that of Meigle in 1894.
Charles Stewart, 1843-1852 [Under Perth – St. Stephen’s it says he was translated in 1844.]
D. D. M’Isaac, M.A., 1865-1886
J. H. Morrison, 1886 — .
This congregation dates from 1843. At first one session was formed for Meigle and Newtyle, and one service each Sunday was conducted at each place. The Meigle congregation worshipped in a hall. Meigle was sanctioned as a separate charge, and a minister settled in September 1845. A fruitless effort was made to unite the two congregations in 1850. In 1851-52 the church and manse were erected. In 1860 a serious charge was made against the minister, of which eventually he was entirely cleared; but great harm was done to the congregation. Many members left and joined Newtyle, which then became a regular charge.
Alexander Macpherson, B.A., 1845-1892
Peter Maltman, 1892 — .
In 1842 two Dundee ministers, one of whom was Robert Murray M’Cheyne, began religious meetings here. These were held in various places in the village till a church was built, and opened in 1844. Owing largely to the unsuccessful attempts made to unite Newtyle and Meigle in a single charge, Newtyle was not sanctioned as a separate charge till 1862. The manse was built in 1871, and a new church was erected in 1900. The parish suffered from depopulation; but grew in favour as a summer resort.
John Fleming, 1863 —
Edward Miller, M.A., 1896 — .
The minister of Rattray, and many of his people, “came out” in 1843. The church was erected forthwith, and the manse in 1849. The church suffered owing to depression of trade, the closing of mills, etc. Originally in the Presbytery of Dunkeld, Rattray was transferred to that of Meigle in October 1843.
Francis C. Gillies, 1843-1846
Adam Ross, M.A., 1846 —
Thomas Tully, M.A., 1894 — .
This congregation was formed in 1843. A loft was rented and fitted up for public worship. Regular services were maintained, and in 1847 a church was erected. The charge was sanctioned in 1856. The manse was built in 1858. The congregation suffered through the failure of the weaving and quarrying industries.
George Renny, 1857-1861
J. D. Fisher, 1863 — . [Vol.1 says he was ordained here 1862.]
The minister of the parish, and many of his people, “came out” in 1843. They secured for a time the use of the chapel at Letham. Their own church was erected in 1845. It has been several times renovated. The manse was built in 1860. There was a division in the congregation during the ministry of Dr. Gardner, and at his retirement in 1850 it was reduced to a station. In 1851 sanction was restored. The congregation suffered through the passing away of handloom weaving, and also through the decrease in the population of the rural districts.
Donald Ferguson, 1843-1844 [Vol.1 spells his surname Fergusson, as does this volume under his other charges.]
James Gardner, M.D., 1844-1850
John Hood, 1851-1884
J. P. Duncan, 1885 — .
Those who “came out” in 1843 along with the minister of the parish formed the Free Church congregation. They worshipped for a time in the open air, or in the United Associate church. Their own church was erected in 1843-44, and the manse in 1851. The old church was sold in 1881, when the congregation moved to the building in High Street.
W. Clugston, M.A., 1843-1857
R. Waterston, B.A., 1858-1867
Alexander Cumming, 1867 — .
With the hearty concurrence of the office-bearers of the first church, a second congregation was organised in Forfar in 1844. A local committee was formed and a missionary appointed in November of that year. The services were held in the Masons’ Lodge. The charge was sanctioned in 1850. The church was erected in 1851, and the manse in 1861. Gallery and classroom were added to the church in 1868.
David Wilkie, 1850-1851 [Vol.1 simply says he died 1867, implying he ministered here till then.]
William Chalmers, 1853-1855
John Fleming, 1856-1865
S. R. Macphail, D.D., 1866-1869
Robert Ross, 1869-1881
G. M. Philps, B.D., 1882-1898
A. B. Macaulay, D.D., 1899 — .
The people here adhering to the Free Church came together under the lead of Mrs. Harvey of Kinnettles, and temporary supply was provided in June 1843. The charge, designed to serve three parishes, was sanctioned in 1845. Church and manse were erected in 1846. The manse was enlarged in 1870, and about the same time a range of stabling was provided. The church suffered through depopulation of the district, and other changes. At the death of the first minister in 1895, it was put in charge of an ordained preacher.
T. J. Patteson, 1845-1895.
In June 1843 the adherents of the Free Church here, who had rented the Old Relief church, were recognised as a congregation. The church was built in 1846, and the manse some years later. The church was renovated in 1895.
J. P. Thomson, M. A., 1844-1881
William Ray, 1879 — [Vol.1 has his name as William Roy.]
The minister and congregation of the South Church “came out” in 1843, retaining possession of the church for a short time. Then they found hospitality in “some of the Dissenting churches,” until they entered their own church in the spring of 1844. The manse was erected in 1849-50.
Daniel Cormick, 1843-1848
William Livingstone, 1849-1897
W. Kirkpatrick, 1894 — .
Groups of adherents of the Free Church from the parishes of Cortachy, Kirriemuir, Oathlaw, and Fern, met in the cart-shed of West Memus Farm in the parish of Tannadice on July 9, 1843. Thereafter regular services were provided. A church was erected, and opened in the following October. The manse was built in 1845. It was enlarged in 1891, and the church was renovated in 1900. Several populous villages in the district dwindled and almost disappeared. Latterly the members were drawn from eight different parishes, the population being thin, and widely scattered.
Peter Edgar, 1844-1893
J. M. Craig, 1886 — .
In June 1843 evening services were provided for the adherents of the Free Church here, who worshipped in a church built by the Messrs. Haldane. Later a probationer was appointed. The charge was sanctioned in 1845, on condition that the station of Rait, in the Presbytery of Perth, should be combined with it. Owing to difficulties in obtaining a site, a settlement was delayed till 1850; and only in 1854 was ground secured and the church erected. A manse also was provided. The church was enlarged in 1884.
Joseph Wilson, 1850-1873 [Vol.1 says he was settled 1848.]
John Wilson, D.D 1873-1886
G. I. Smith, M.A., 1886 — .
In response to a memorial presented to the Presbytery by local Free Church members, this congregation was organised in December 1861. Public worship was held in a hall kindly granted by Mr. Erskine of Linlathen. This was burned down, and another temporary place of worship was erected. The charge was sanctioned in 1863. The church was built in 1865, and the manse in 1877.
J. Murray Mitchell, LL. D., 1863-1867
A. B. Bruce, D.D., 1868-1875
J. E. Somerville, B.D., 1875-1884
Alexander Ewing, 1885 (January-November)
James Denney, D.D., 1886-1897
M. D. Macgilvray, M.A. 1898 — [In Vol.1 his surname is MacGilivray.]
To meet the necessities of the growing community in Broughty-Ferry this congregation was organised in 1878. The charge was sanctioned that same year. A church of galvanised iron and wood was erected, which served till 1885, when a new church was built.
W. W. Peyton, 1878 —
L. A. Muirhead, D.D., 1892 — . [Vol.1 says he was translated 1893.]
The minister of the quoad sacra church of Broughty-Ferry, and many of the congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. The minister was absent owing to illness, and signed the Deed of Demission on his death-bed. A church was built, and opened in March 1844. The manse was erected in 1848-49. In 1856 the church was enlarged, and again in 1890. The East Free and Monifieth South Free Churches were offshoots from this congregation.
David Davidson, 1843
John Lyon, 1844-1889
G. E. Troup, M.A., 1880 — .
The minister and congregation of this church, for a time known as the Gaelic church, “came out” in 1843. Their church building stood in the Long Wynd. They built a fine church in Tay Square. They found themselves in difficulties, owing to the troubles of the times, and the great cost of the new building. The Town Council, which had to provide a building for St. John’s (Cross) congregation, bought the new building, and worship was resumed in the Long Wynd Church, the charge being reduced to a station. In 18 54, however, sanction was restored. In 1855 they bought an old Secession chapel, and worshipped there for a time. In 1866 they bought the whole site, on part of which the chapel stood, pulled down the tenement buildings which occupied it, and erected a new church, which was opened in 1869. It was thenceforth known as Albert Square Church.
Charles MacAlister, 1843-1854
John Logan, 1854-1859
Neil Taylor, 1860-1882
Dugald Matheson, 1882-1887
G. R. Macphail, M.A., 1887 — .
The minister and congregation of Wallacetown Church Extension church “came out” at the Disruption. With the consent of the trustees they occupied the church till 1853, when the trustees sold it to another congregation. They then worshipped four years in a schoolroom kindly lent by Baxter Brothers. They built a church in 1857. The manse was purchased in 1874. The church was sold to the School Board in 1892, and a new church erected near Baxter Park, and opened in 1894, when the congregation took the name of Baxter Park.
P. L. Miller, 1843-1847
John Skene, M.A., 1847-1892
J. Fenton, M.A., 1877 — .
This congregation originated in mission work conducted by Hilltown Church, in a hall erected at the top of Bonnethill. A church was erected, and the usual agencies set in operation. The charge was sanctioned in 1872.
J. A. Simpson, 1872-1899.
[James Cameron, 1898 — . According to Vol. 1]
The congregation was formed as the fruit of mission work conducted by St. Peter’s, St. David’s, and St John’s Free Churches, in the neighbourhood of Scouringburn (later called Brook Street). After eighteen months’ preliminary work, a church was built and opened in November 1852. The charge was sanctioned in 1854. In that year a school was erected; subsequently used as church halls. The site of the school was eventually purchased. In 1866 a gallery was put into the church. A manse was provided. The district gradually deteriorated. Latterly there was a considerable influx Roman Catholic families.
W. A. Stirling, 1854-1864
H. W. Bell, M.A., 1864-1871
R. Milligan, 1871-1888
R. H. Logan, M.A., 1889 — .
DUNDEE – CHAPELSHADE
The minister of Chapelshade Parish Church, and a large congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped at first in Lindsay Street Chapel. Their own church was opened in January 1848. The church underwent considerable alterations subsequently. The manse was provided in 1900. The church has suffered from the conditions affecting most central city churches.
William Reid, 1843-1844
John Macdougall, 1844-1865
Andrew Crichton, B.A., 1866-1867
George Laing, 1868-1881
A. Adamson, B.D., 1882 — .
The minister of this Church Extension charge adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption; but at the meeting of Presbytery in July 1843 he tendered his resignation, on the ground that the church was burdened with debt, the audience thin, and the congregation unable to face the difficulties and trials in prospect. No congregational representatives appeared in response to the Presbytery’s summons. The resignation was accepted; but the congregation was maintained, and another minister settled. In 1853 the minister of Meadowfield Original Secession congregation, which had joined the Free Church in 1852, was called; and on his translation, his former congregation was united with that of Dudhope.
A. Macpherson, B.A., 1843 (May-July)
William Stewart, 1843-1852
E. A. Thomson, 1853-1859
William Stewart, 1860-1867
Andrew Inglis, 1867-1892
A. C. Abel, 1893 — .
DUNDEE – GAELIC. See DUNDEE – ALBERT SQUARE.
With a view to the establishment of a new charge, the Presbytery in 1875 opened a mission in Hospital Wynd, with the consent of the Chapelshade office-bearers. It was recognised as a station in 1877, and a new church was erected. The charge was sanctioned as the High Church in 1878.
Gavin Anderson, M.A., 1878-1899 [-1877, Vol. 2 under EDINBURGH – ST. CUTHBERT’S]
F. J. MacLauchlan, M.A., 1899 — .
Dr. John Baxter, minister of this Church Extension charge, and almost all his people, “came out” in 1843. As there was a heavy debt on the church it was sold in 1850. It was purchased by the congregation. A manse was acquired subsequently.
John Baxter, D.D., 1843-1858
John Macpherson, 1859 — .
The minister and congregation of this quoad sacra parish “came out” in 1843. Mr. Stewart felt the strain of speaking in so large a building. He left, with a number of the congregation, to become minister of Dudhope Church. The others retained the use of their church for two years; and when deprived of it they met for worship in a factory loft until their own church was opened. A manse also was provided.
W. Stewart, 1843 (May-August)
David Thom, M.A.. 1888 — .
This congregation originated in a mission begun by St. Peter’s congregation in 1857 in Taylor’s Lane. The mission prospering, a new church was erected in the west end of the city, and opened by C. H. Spurgeon in May 1870. It was named M’Cheyne Memorial in memory of Robert Murray M’Cheyne. The buildings consist of church and church officer’s house, with halls underneath. The charge was sanctioned in 1871. The building was enlarged in 1899, and ampler hall and classroom accommodation provided. The mission hall in Taylor’s Lane was also the property of the congregation. The increase of the population in the district contributed to the steady growth of the congregation.
A. H. Reid, M.A., 1872-1887
Alexander Alexander, M.A., 1887 — .
DUNDEE – MARINERS’ See DUNDEE – ST. PAUL’S.
This congregation, formerly Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876, carrying their buildings, church and manse, with them.
1878, 321; 1901, 723.
John Wyllie, 1876-1893
Alex. Osborne, M.A., 1894 — .
This congregation originated in Dura Street Mission, begun by St. Andrews Church in 1872. Church buildings were erected, and in 1876 the charge was sanctioned. The congregation conducted a mission in Dundonald Street, where it had a hall.
J. F. Ewing, M.A., 1876-1879
Archibald Black, 1880-1892
H. F. Henderson, D.D., 1893 — .
The minister of St. Andrew’s parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. A church was built, and opened in February 1845. A schoolroom, purchased in 1846, was subsequently used as a church hall. A site for a new church was acquired in 1875; but the site of the old church was never sold. The congregation founded Ogilvie Church, and was largely instrumental in the forming of Wellgate (St. Stephen’s) Church.
James Ewing, 1843-1886
Charles Shaw, 1886 — .
The minister of St. David’s, and a large proportion of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped in an old mill until their own church was ready for occupation. It was opened in April 1844. A manse was also provided.
Geo. Lewis, B.A., 1843-1849
Charles Nairn, 1849-1873
John Dunlop, D.D., 1870-1887
A. C. Mackenzie, 1887 — .
In 1864, in response to a request by certain members and adherents of the church, resident in Dundee, they were congregated on the footing of a station under the ministry of William Angus Knight. They worshipped in the Thistle Hall, and Blackscroft Mission district was assigned to them. The charge was sanctioned in 1866. Mr. Knight was ordained in July of that year. Because of procedure taken with regard to certain views publicly expressed by Mr. Knight, he and his congregation withdrew from the Free Church in 1873.
No returns available.
William Angus Knight, LL. D., 1866-1873.
The minister and congregation of St. John’s, with few exceptions, “came out” in 1843. A machine loft was fitted up as a place of worship. A school in Park Wynd (afterwards mission premises) was conveyed to the congregation by former trustees, in 1844. In 1860 a manse at Whiteley’s Nethergate was presented to the congregation. The church and manse were sold in 1881. Another manse was purchased in Windsor Street in 1883; and a new church was erected in Perth Road, and opened in March 1884.
John Roxburgh, D.D., 1843-1847
A. O. Laird, 1848-1891 [Vol.1 says he became senior minister in 1867, he resigned in 1883 and he died in 1891.]
David Somerville, D.D., 1867-1878
D. M. Ross, D.D., 1878-1898
G. H. Morrison, D.D., 1898 — .
At the request of many elders, members, and adherents of the Free Church in the parishes of St. Mary’s, St. Paul’s, St. Clement’s, and Greyfriars’, the ministers of which did not “come out” at the Disruption, the Presbytery organised them as a congregation, and a temporary place of worship was secured. In the end of 1843 the Assembly’s committee recognised them as a regular charge, under the name of the Central Church. A probationer who had accepted their call withdrew owing to ill-health. A fruitless attempt was made to unite them with Chapelshade congregation. It was arranged that “meantime the Central congregation should worship along with Mariners’ congregation.” James Law, chaplain to the seamen before the Disruption, had gathered a large congregation, at whose request the Free Church Presbytery ordained him in July 1843. In 1844 Mr. Law returned to the Establishment. While the Mariners’ Church was thus vacant, the Central congregation came to worship with them. An old Original Secession church was bought, and a minister settled. Difficulties arose over the constitution of the Mariners’ Church. By order of Assembly in 1850, the church was sold, the proceeds being set apart for the benefit of seamen; and the congregation was sanctioned as an ordinary charge, apart from the former constitution, under the name of St. Paul’s. The Mariners’ church was rented until their own at the Nethergate was opened in 1852. The manse was bought in 1870.
James Law, 1843-1844
Thomas Robinson, LL. D., 1845-1847
W. Wilson, D.D., 1848-1888
R. Waterston, B.A., 1878-1892
William Patrick, D.D., 1892-1900
John Martin, 1900 — .
This was the Church Extension charge of which Robert Murray M’Cheyne was minister. At the Disruption it was vacant through his death. The congregation “came out,” and procedure in securing a successor to Mr. M’Cheyne had gone so far that he was ordained in June 1843. The church was purchased for the congregation.
Islay Burns, D.D., 1843-1864
Duncan MacGregor, M.A., 1864-1876
John Jenkins, M.A., 1876 — .
DUNDEE – WALLACETOWN. See DUNDEE – BAXTER PARK.
This congregation took its origin in a mission begun by St. Andrew’s congregation in 1850. Meetings were held for a time in a small brick hall. A church was erected, and opened early in 1858. The charge was sanctioned in 1862. The church was carried on as a Territorial charge, and financial aid was given for a few years by three neighbouring congregations. The manse was built in 1872.
John Duke, 1863-1879
Donald Cook, B.Sc, 1880 — .
This congregation, formerly Original Secession, joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, and adhered to the Free Church in 1843. The church, which had been erected in 1814, was extended and renovated in 1868. Although a central city charge, the congregation maintained its prosperity.
Robert Aitken, 1843-1845
Thomas Hill, 1846-1891
Alex. S. Inch, M.A., 1889-1898
James Hastings, D.D., 1898 — .
A congregation of those who adhered to the Free Church was formed here at the Disruption. They met at first for worship in a tent. The church was built in 1843, and the manse in 1844. The manse was considerably altered and enlarged in 1890. The population greatly declined throughout the district served by this congregation.
W. R. Moncur, 1843-1876 [Vol.1 says 1877.]
John Gall, M.A, 1877-1879
John Kennedy, M.A., 1880 — .
At the Disruption, evening services were provided for Invergowrie. On the adhesion of the minister of Longforgan to the Free Church, the congregation continued under that name. No site in the village of Longforgan could be obtained. The church was built at the extreme end of the parish, and opened early in 1844. No site for manse could be secured till 1849. Meantime Mr. Walker had to live in Dundee. Subsequently the church was greatly altered and improved.
R. S. Walker, 1843-1854
John Hunter, 1855-1900 [Vol.1 says he resigned in 1891.]
Adam Philip, M. A., 1881 — .
The congregation here was formed at the Disruption, and evening service provided. Steps were taken for the building of a church forthwith. A manse also was provided. The charge was sanctioned in 1844.
A. G. MacGillivray, 1845-1866
Robert Lorimer, M.A., 1866 — .
The minister of Monifieth, with two elders and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. For some time public worship was conducted in a tent, as no site for a building could be obtained. At last, in 1846, a site was gifted to the congregation, and the church was erected in 1846-47. A manse was also provided.
Samuel Miller, D.D., 1843-1844
Edward Cross, M.A., 1845-1892
A. Wiseman, M.A., 1890 — .
Owing to difficulties as to site, the Free Church of Monifieth was built some three miles from the village. In response to a memorial from Free Church adherents, a preaching station was established in the village in 1869. The charge was sanctioned in 1870. A church was built on a site granted by the Earl of Dalhousie, and opened in 1872. The manse was built in 1876. A tower and gallery were added to the church in 1884. The population of the village greatly increased.
R. MacGregor, M.A., 1871-1877
Crawford Smith, M.A., 1878 — .
The minister of the parish, and part of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The hostility of Lord Panmure prevented the securing of a site for a place of worship. The congregation met in the barn of the farm of Affleck, the minister occupying part of the farmhouse. When Fox Maule came into the estate, he at once granted a site, and himself laid the foundation-stone of the church, which, with the manse, was completed in 1853. The Earl of Dalhousie (Fox Maule) was an acting elder in the congregation. At his death he left an endowment for it and other three congregations on his estates.
James Miller, 1843-1860
M. M’Intyre, 1849 — .
R. Scrymgeour, M.A., 1894-1897 [Vol.1 says 1898.]
A. R. Gordon, D.Litt., 1898 — .
The minister of the parish, and almost the entire congregation, “came out” in 1843. A church was erected forthwith, and the manse soon afterwards. Subsequently the church was renovated. The church suffered through the extinction of handloom weaving, and the absorption of crofts in larger farms.
Duncan Turner, 1861-1882
Neil S. Elder, M.A., 1883 — .
The minister and congregation of this Church Extension charge “came out” in 1843. They continued in possession of their church until 1855, when the Established Church Presbytery redeemed a bond of £250 on the property, and claimed the building. A new church was erected in 1856.
M. F. Parker, 1843-1857
J. M’Cosh, LL. D., 1844-1852
J. E. Carlile, 1852-1859
Donaldson Rose, M.A., 1860-1892
T. L. Ritchie, 1880-1899
E. T. Thomson, 1900 — .
The Secession congregation in South Port joined the Free Church in 1852, along with their minister. On his translation to another charge in 1854, the congregation was suppressed.
No available statistics.
David Simpson, 1852-1854.
Both ministers of the parish of Brechin “came out” in 1843, taking with them a large portion of the congregation. They worshipped in the Original Secession church in Port Street until their church was opened in 1844. The manse was built in 1867-68, and the hall a year or two later.
A. L. R. Foote, D.D., 1843-1878
James M’Cosh, LL. D., 1843-1844
John Fraser, 1865 — .
The minister of the parish, and many of the congregation, “came out” in 1843, and by the month of August following the building of a church was in progress. Difficulties arose as to title for the site, and in April 1844 it became necessary to remove it to another position. A manse was also provided. The church was renovated in the “nineties.”
James Brewster, D.D., 1843-1847
Hugh Mitchell, LL. D., 1848-1894
Geo. Williams, M.A., 1893 — .
The minister of the parish, with the greater part of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The proprietor refused a site; but William Carr, shoemaker, gave a corner of land which he held on a 99 years’ tack, and there the church was erected forthwith. The manse was built in 1859, on a site given by the Earl of Dalhousie. Towards the new church erected in 1900, Sir R. W. Inglis, son of the first minister, gave £1000. The descendants of William Carr gave £505 for organ and bell, and those whom Mr. Inglis baptized presented a baptismal font inscribed to his memory. The congregation suffered through rural depopulation. It benefited, however, by the growing popularity of Edzell as a summer resort.
Robert Inglis, M.A., 1843-1876
Christopher Smith, 1868-1878
W. G. Lawrence, 1879-1890
C. M. Scott, M.A., 1890 (February-November)
T. C. Sturrock, B.D., 1891 — .
This congregation was formed of those who “came out” of the Parish Church at the Disruption. They met for worship, conducted by preachers and catechists, in the Free Masons’ Lodge. The charge was sanctioned in 1845. Lord Panmure would grant no site; but advantage was taken of permission to build a shepherd’s cottage on the farm of Baillies to make a room in which worship could be held. As Lord Panmure said, Baillies had outgeneralled him. This was in 1845. The Earl of Dalhousie, on coming into the property, granted a site, and there, in 1857-58, church and manse were erected. The congregation were indebted to the Earl for much help. Lochlee is one of the four congregations on his estate the ministers of which share in the benefits of the Dalhousie Bequest.
A. M’Ilwraith, 1847-1886
D. A. Dickson, 1885-1890
James Paul, 1890 — .
The congregation here was formed immediately after the Disruption, and supply provided. Public worship was held first in a barn, then in a wooden church erected at St. Martin’s Den. A permanent church was built in 1844, in which year the charge was sanctioned. A manse purchased at Hillside in 1845 was afterwards enlarged. A school was also erected there. The congregation was greatly indebted for generous help to the Misses Carnegy of Craigs.
John Bain, 1845-1876
A. L. Roberton, 1876 — .
The minister of the parish adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption, but was, through age and infirmity, unable to take any active part. The congregation worshipped at first in a barn, but soon erected a church at the head of the Den of Fullerton. The position was most inconvenient, being almost inaccessible from the low ground. In 1849 the charge was reduced to a preaching station. In 1855 a suitable site was secured, and church and manse were erected. Sanction was restored in 1856.
Andrew Fergusson, M.A., 1843 (May-October)
J. E. Craven, 1843-1845
James Dickson, 1846-1849
J. Thain Davidson, D.D., 1857-1859
George Wallace, D.D., 1859-1866
Andrew Cameron, D.D., 1866-1870
W. M. Falconer, M.A., 1871-1876
Thomas Murray, M.A., 1876-1885 [Vol.2 says 1877.].
W. Fairweather, 1886 — .
The congregation was formed of those who “came out” of Menmuir Parish Church at the Disruption, together with those from several surrounding parishes where no Free church was accessible. At firstt they worshipped in the open air beside the public road. A church was erected in 1843-44, and a manse a little later. The charge was sanctioned in 1845. A second storey was added to the manse in 1862. Notwithstanding rural depopulation and other changes, the membership remained fairly steady.
John S. Moir, 1847-1853
George Monro, M.A., 1854 —
Alex. Monro, M.A., 1898 — .
The members of the Old Church in Montrose in sympathy with the non-Intrusion party had made preparation in view of the Disruption. After “coming out,” they worshipped for a time in a wooden building on the bowling-green. A church was built, and opened in January 1844. A new church was erected in 1859. A manse was purchased in 1869. A church hall was built in 1885. The church was altered and renovated in 1896.
John Thomson, 1843-1846
John Laird, D.D., 1847-1853
Macadam Grigor, 1854-1856
John Lister, B.A., 1856-1899
R. Forgan, B.D., 1886-1892
J. L. Craig, M.A., 1892-1899
Joseph Muir, B.D., 1899 — .
The minister and congregation of St. John’s quoad sacra church “came out” in 1843. They retained their church. A manse was erected in 1863, Queen Street mission hall in 1887, and church hall, session-house, and vestry in 1892. The trade and population of Montrose greatly declined in later years.
William Nixon, D.D., 1843-1900
J. A. George, M.A., 1878 — .
Some time after April 1846 mission work was begun in the Castle Street district, under the care of St. John’s. The charge was sanctioned in 1860. The church was erected in 1861. The manse was purchased in 1866. The church was enlarged and a hall added in 1876.
G. S. Sutherland, 1861 — .