In 1846 it was proposed to build a church here; but when a probationer was stationed at Ardrishaig in 1849 services were still held in the schoolhouse. The church was ultimately built, and opened in 1869. The charge was sanctioned in 1865.
1869, 225 (including adherents);
John Stewart, 1868 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption. The church was erected in 1844, the school in 1848, and the manse in 1851. A new church was built in 1896. The congregation was unfortunate in not obtaining a minister for several years. The population steadily declined.
Robert Rose, M.A., 1847-1898
D. C. Stewart, 1889 — .
A catechist was appointed to labour here in 1847. In 1849 a church was erected. The charge was sanctioned in 1857. An endowment of £600 was provided. A new church, with manse, was built in 1864.
Angus Stewart, 1862-1876
Malcolm M’Phail, 1877 — .
This congregation was formed immediately after the Disruption, and was nurtured under the guidance of the minister of Strachur. The church was built about 1848, and a manse in 1870.
William Rose, 1854-1866
John Clark, 1867 —
A. D. Cameron, 1898 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption. The church was erected in 1844, and the manse in the “fifties.”
1855, 600 (including adherents);
[Charles Neilson M’Caig, 1876-1880 Vol.1]
John Mackenzie, 1843-1864
William Fraser, 1861-1892
Angus J. Watson, M.A., 1896 — .
This congregation, originally Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876. The church was erected about 1850.
J. M. Fulton, 1876-1877
J. M. Shirreffs, 1878-1887
A. Bannatyne, 1888 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption. There were many difficulties to contend with in this broken and scattered district, and suitable sites for building were refused. North and South Knapdale were sanctioned as one charge in 1845. Later it was found better to unite South Knapdale with Kilberry. The church was built in 1844, and the manse about 1854. A church was also erected at Bellanoch in 1874. A new church was built at Knapdale in 1899-1900. The manse and the church at Bellanoch were renovated at the same time. The number of members in full communion doubled between 1870 and 1900; but with gradual depopulation, the adherents decreased.
M. M’Ritchie, 1854-1862
G. L. Campbell, 1863-1865
A. Ferguson, 1866-1882
John Campbell, 1883-1895
A. Macinnes, B.D., 1896 — .
This congregation dates from the Disruption, soon after which a minister was settled. The congregation worshipped for two years in the churchyard. The church was built about 1845. The congregation, originally in the Presbytery of Kintyre, was transferred to that of Inveraray in 1879.
Donald M’Rae, M.A., 1843-1845
John Campbell, 1845-1874
Murdoch M’Queen, 1876-1884
M. C. Campbell, 1884 — .
BENNECARRIGAN [station]. See SOUTHEND.
The two ministers of the English and Gaelic Collegiate charge, and a large proportion of the congregation, “came out” in 1843. The English-speaking portion for a time worshipped in the Secession church, the Gaelic in the court of Messrs. Grant & Kelly’s Distillery, which was roofed in and seated for the purpose. Two churches were soon erected; but the congregation was still regarded as one. The building of the English-speaking portion proved too small, and otherwise unsuitable, and a new church was built at Lochend in 1863. In 1867 the two portions were disjoined and made separate charges, the English being called Lochend, and the Gaelic, Lorne Street. The entire day-school staff joined the Free Church, which undertook the work of education and employed all the teachers.
Hector M’Neill, 1843-1879
J. R. Caird, M.A., 1877-1882
John M’Queen, M.A., 1883 — .
The history of this congregation is identical with that of Lochend (which see) until 1867, when the two were disjoined, this being the Gaelic portion. After worshipping for a time in the court of the distillery, they entered a barn-like structure, which had been hastily run up. When the English congregation moved to Lochend church, a new church was erected on the old site by John Beith, jun., an influential elder, at his own expense, and here the Gaelic congregation, with many English-speaking members, remained, taking the name of Lorne Street. A hall was built in 1889. The manse was a double house, one-half belonging to the English, the other to the Gaelic congregation.
Duncan M’Nab, 1843-1856
Alexander Munro, 1858-1867
J. T. M’Lean, 1868-1875 [Vol.1 and Vol.2 under North Bute say he was translated in 1876.]
Duncan Graham, 1876-1885
D. F. M’Kenzie, B.D., 1885-1891
Alexander Bain, 1892 — .
Several families in the parish of Saddell and Skipness in 1843 formed the nucleus of a congregation. In 1844 a minister was appointed to preach at Skipness and Kilberry. After Kilberry was sanctioned, separate services were begun for Skipness and Carradale in 1863. These were held in schoolrooms, barns, etc. Church and manse were built at Carradale in 1887, and the church at Skipness in 1892. The two were sanctioned as a double charge in 1890. Comparative failure of the fishing industry was against the development of the congregation.
G. S. MacLeod, M.A., 1891 — —.
Kilberry and South Knapdale were both preaching stations formed at the Disruption. The latter was at first connected with Ardrishaig, in the Presbytery of Dunoon and Inveraray. On petition it was transferred to that of Kintyre. Kilberry was originally supplied along with Skipness; but it was found to be a better arrangement to work it with South Knapdale. Kilberry church was built in 1847, and was used as both church and school, having a teacher’s house attached to it. A second church was erected at Achoish for South Knapdale. The charge of Kilberry and South Knapdale was sanctioned in 1862. The teacher’s dwelling became the manse. It was enlarged and renovated in 1874. An endowment, amounting to £864, was raised for the funds of the congregation in connection with the Highlands and Islands Committee.
James Gillies, 1863-1875
James M’Leod, 1876-1879
Norman M’Leod, M.A., 1880-1894
Donald M’Lean, 1895 — .
The district connected with this church embraced that part of the parish of Kilberry lying to the south of West Loch Tarbert. In 1859 regular services were begun in the village of Clachan, in a chapel belonging to the Independents. The charge was sanctioned in 1870. In 1875, Sir William MacKinnon built a manse, and in 1878 a new church. Both buildings were held by him as private property.
Murdo Mackenzie, 1870-1873
Alexander MacRae, M.A., 1875 — [Vol.1 says 1857.]
This congregation was formed at the Disruption by adherents of the Free Church in the parish. For four years they worshipped either in a canvas tent or in the open air on the seashore. The minister occupied the garret of a labourer’s cottage. Mainly through his exertions, church, manse, and school were erected in 1846.
1848, 188 (including adherents);
Duncan Clark, 1843-1850
J. M’Tavish, D.D., 1851-1852
J. M. Macpherson, M.A., 1853-1888
John Stuart, M.A., 1889 — .
In August 1844 there were some 800 adherents of the Free Church in the northern district of Arran; the nearest Free Church being 15 miles distant. Their request that a new charge be sanctioned there was granted that year. The church was built at Lenimorc Point, about 4 miles west of Lochranza; and the manse at Catacol Bay. After the first minister’s death in 1847, there was a long vacancy, and much uncertainty as to the future. At the third vacancy, in 1885, the members and adherents at Lochranza were, at their own request, disjoined, and sanctioned as a separate charge in 1886. They retained the name Lochranza; the western congregation being called Lenimore and Pirnmill.
John Hamilton, 1845-1847
Duncan MacNicol, 1857-1876
D. M’Cormick, 1877-1885
John Kennedy, 1888 — .
Lochranza was at first united with Lenimore and Pirnmill in one congregation. Disjoined in 1886, and sanctioned as a separate charge, it carried the original name with it. See LENIMORE AND PIRNMILL.
1889, 322 (including adherents);
James Johnstone, 1888-1896
A. J. Grant, 1897 — .
In response to a memorial from the Free Church residents in the district, from which it appeared that they were 15 miles distant from the Free Church of Kilmory, a new charge was sanctioned here in 1844. The church was erected, and opened in March 1847. The congregation lost some thirty families when the Bennecarrigan station was opened. It also suffered through emigration.
(The name is also spelt “Shisken.”)
1848, 407 (including adherents); 1900, 171.
Peter Davidson, 1845-1852
Archibald Nicol, 1852-1876
John MacLean, 1880-1885
J. W. M’Dougall, 1886 — .
Work was begun here by Mr. M’Dougall of Shiskine. Mr. Findlay, formerly of Houston, retired, and, living in the locality, gave much valued service. The congregation worshipped for two years in Sliddery school. The church was built in 1893.
After the Disruption occasional services were arranged for Bowmore in connection with Killarrow. In 1856 it was recognised as a preaching station. It was sanctioned as a Church Extension charge in 1859. Church and manse were erected in 1860, and a school soon afterwards. The congregation were greatly indebted to Claud Macfie of Gogarburn, and Charles M’Neil, one of the elders, for counsel and help. In 1874 the widow of the latter, carrying out her husband’s wish, left £1650, the annual interest of which to be applied to augment the minister’s stipend. Mr. Macfie also gave £400, the annual interest to be credited to the Sustentation Fund of the congregation.
Alexander Mackintosh, 1874-1879
P. M’Iver, 1882 — .
Alexander Cameron, minister of the parish, “came out” in 1843. A new church was erected forthwith. The manse was built in 1847. The parish is large and the population sparse. The gradual decline of the latter adversely affected the congregation.
Alexander Cameron, 1843-1872
James Macmillan, 1873 — .
Many people in Port Ellen adhered to the Free Church in 1843, and a congregation was immediately formed, although some years elapsed before a minister was settled. The church was built in 1845, outside Port Ellen, on a hill overlooking the village. The manse was erected in 1848.
Alexander Mackenzie, 1847-1871
Alexander Lee, M.A., 1872-1875
Donald MacMaster, 1876-1896 [Vol.1 says he resigned in 1895.]
Daniel Munro, 1896 — .
The minister and many of the congregation of the quoad sacra church of Kilmeny “came out” in 1843; and were joined by those who left the parish church of Killarrow. The new church was built at Skerrols, and opened in February 1844. The manse was erected in 1846. The rural population considerably declined. The members and adherents from Bowmore and its vicinity were disjoined in 1859, and made a separate charge.
1855, 215 (including adherents);
James Pearson, 1843-1883
Peter Stewart, 1881 — .
After some hesitation the minister of the parish remained in the Establishment in 1843. All the elders and a large proportion of the people “came out” in July, and a congregation was formed. School and teacher’s house were erected in 1849. The congregation had the status of a station under Kilchoman. Under Dr. M’Lachlan’s scheme an endowment of £1000 was gathered before 1875, in which year the charge was sanctioned. School and teacher’s house were then renovated and enlarged, and became church and manse. A new manse was erected in 1892, and the church was repaired in 1893.
1876, 123 (including adherents);
John G. M’Neil, 1875-1885 [Vol.1 says he was translated to Cawdor in 1880.]
Angus M’Donald, 1886-1890
A. S. M’Intyre, B.D., 1891 — .
The station here was formed immediately after the Disruption, and continued in charge of catechists and probationers till 1897, when an ordained preacher was appointed. The church was erected in 1864.
After the Disruption, the district of Lismore and Appin was put in charge of the ministers of Ardchattan and Oban. In 1851, on the resignation of Mr. Fraser, Appin was joined to Ardchattan. Difficulty as to sites led the Appin congregation to ask for separation; Mr. Macfie of Airds having offered them a site. The request was not granted; but in accordance with the decision of Commission of Assembly in November 1853, a minister was settled in 1855, who resided at Appin, as being more accessible to both parts of the district. The arrangement did not work well; and in 1859 Lismore and Appin were sanctioned as a separate charge. The church was built in 1846. The manse was erected later by Robert Macfie. Some years before the Union of 1900, the Lismore part of Appin congregation joined with the United Presbyterian congregation of Lismore; and the Duror part of Appin was attached to the newly formed congregation of South Ballachulish. There is an endowment of £1700.
W. S. MacDougall, 1855-1866
D. C. Ross, 1867 — .
The minister of the united parishes of Ardchattan and Muckairn “came out” at the Disruption. The charges were at once disjoined, and he continued in that of Ardchattan. Sites were refused for church and manse, and he was obliged to reside in Oban. The church was erected in 1844. For history of congregation after Mr. Fraser’s retiral, see APPIN. It was proposed to reunite Ardchattan with Muckairn, but objections to this course prevailed. The manse was built in 1862.
1848, 100 (including adherents);
Hugh Fraser, M.A., 1843-1851
John Sutherland, 1860 — .
The minister of Glenorchy and the greater portion of his people “came out” in 1843. By the kindness of Lord Breadalbane a temporary wooden church was erected in which they worshipped until church and manse were ready for occupation. In 1898 the residents in Port Sonachan were disjoined from Glenorchy, and attached to Kilchrennan.
D. MacLean, 1843-1877 [Vol.1 says he died 1871.]
D. Macalister, 1872 — .
The minister of the parish and the great majority of the people “came out” in 1843, and formed the Free Church of Kilbrandon and Kilchattan. A tent was given by the Marquis of Breadalbane, in which they worshipped during the winter months. He also aided largely with the building of the new church, which was opened in 1846. The manse was erected in 1866. Membership decreased owing to depopulation. Of the local congregation of the Covenanters who left the local parish church in 1787, the majority joined the Free Church in 1872. They became extinct as a body in 1876.
Finlay Macpherson, 1843-1852
William Fraser, 1852-1857
Duncan Graham, 1858-1876
Donald M’Donald, 1877 — .
The minister of Kilchrennan, with many of his people, “came out” at the Disruption. A new church was erected. At Mr. Fraser’s translation to Kilbrandon in 1852, the district was put under charge of the minister of Muckairn. In 1898 Kilchrennan and Port Sonachan were united, and a missionary wa» appointed.
William Fraser, 1843-1852.
This congregation was formed at the Disruption, and put under the charge of the minister of Kilbrandon. A temporary place of worship was used till 1852, when it became no longer available. The church was erected in 1862. It is not certain when manse and school were built; but the titles bear the date of 1855. Sheep farming was the only industry, the population being very sparse.
D. M’Gillivray, 1844-1892
George Murray, 1894 — .
The people of Evangelical sympathies here met for worship apart from the Established Church, three years before the Disruption. A large storehouse, suitably fitted up, was put at their disposal by the Lorn Furnace Company. At the Disruption the charge of this district was divided between the ministers of Kilchrennan and Ardchattan, until a minister was settled in 1844. Church and manse were erected in 1860. After the closing of the Furnace Company’s works about 1870, the population greatly decreased. A second church was provided at Inverguisachan, near the head of Loch Etive, where services were held at intervals. The congregation was greatly helped in early days by Mr. Kelly, manager of the Furnace Company, Mr. and Mrs. Campbell of Monzie, and Mrs. Campbell of Inverawe.
David Murray, 1844-1855
John M’Lean, 1856-1858
Thomas Mackenzie, 1858-1898
M. N. Munro, M.A., 1898 — .
In April 1885 a number of members of the Free High Church were, at their own request, disjoined, and formed a separate congregation. The charge was sanctioned in 1886. Worship was conducted for a time in the Argyllshire Gathering Halls. The church was erected in 1888-89, and the halls somewhat later. The manse was purchased in 1897. Mr. Macfie of Airds left £1000 for this congregation. It was purely English-speaking.
D. D. Robertson, M.A., 1887-1899
D. J. Martin, M.A., 1897 — .
The minister of Oban quoad sacra church, and many of his people, “came out” in 1843. With the generous help of Lord Breadalbane, a church was speedily erected. It was built under condition that two-thirds of the sittings in the area should always be free to the inhabitants of Oban, or others who might desire to worship there. With the concurrence of the Assembly in 1870 this condition was removed.
Archibald Bannatyne, 1843-1853
Patrick Cameron, 1855-1874
John Mackay, M.A., 1875-1883
Finlay Graham, 1885-1892
Ewan MacLeod, 1895 — .
The minister of the quoad sacra church here, which had been built and endowed by Lady Glenorchy, “came out” at the Disruption. A church was built a little to the east of Tyndrum, and a second at Bridge of Orchy. A house was rented for a manse. The district ministered to extends from Glen Falloch and Crianlarich, to Inveravon, at the head of Glenorchy. The stoppage of the Clifton Lead Mines, depopulation, and the opening of a preaching station at Crianlarich, acted adversely on the prosperity of the congregation. It was transferred from the Presbytery of Breadalbane to that of Lorn in 1896.
A. M’Kinnon, 1843-1884
D. I. Mackay, 1876-1888
Hugh Fraser, 1889 — .
This station was begun under Thomas Mackenzie of Muckairn in 1887. To meet the needs of the growing numbers of summer visitors, deputies were appointed by the Church during three months each summer. The church was erected in 1893.
A Presbyterial deputation visited this district in 1844, and again in 1846. In 1847 it was placed under supervision of the minister of Tobermory, and a catechist appointed. Regular services were provided from about 1876. The church was built in 1868. The charge was sanctioned in 1890, and the manse was erected in 1893.
1892, 134 (including adherents);
John Macdonald, 1891-1895
Ewen Gillies, 1896-1897
Arch. M’Leod, 1899 — .
This congregation was formed on the basis of a preaching station in 1868, services having been provided occasionally from 1864. At the instance of the Presbytery the Assembly sent a commission to visit this and adjoining districts, and as a result Ardnamurchan became a sanctioned charge in 1873. Church and manse were built in 1876.
1876, 123 (including adherents)
1890, 217 (including adherents);
Nicol Campbell, 1874-1889
James Macniven, M.A., 1891 — .
The minister, and almost the whole population of Coll, “came out” in 1843. At the first vacancy in the charge, the island of Tiree was put under the care of the minister of Coll. Such were the difficulties in the way of securing sites for church and manse that in 1858 the congregation were still worshipping in the open air or from house to house, while the minister and his family lived in “a miserable bothy.” In 1861, through the kind offices of Mr. Bouverie, M.P., a site was granted, and church and manse were erected in 1863.
1900, statistics unavailable.
Archibald Nicol, 1843-1852
Alex. Fraser, 1855 —
Roderick Ross, 1882 — .
The minister of Iona and Ross of Mull, then a united charge, “came out” at the Disruption. He suffered not a little hardship from lack of a proper dwelling till 1847. In the years succeeding the Disruption the population of Iona was seriously diminished. In 1890, in consideration of the difficulty of working together the two districts on opposite sides of the Sound, the historical associations of Iona, and its importance as a resort for summer visitors, Iona was sanctioned as a separate charge, Ross and Brolas being made a new charge for the southern district of the island of Mull. The church was built in 1845, and the manse in 1894.
Donald M’Vean, 1843-1880 [Vol.1 says he resigned 1878 and died 1880.]
J. Blacklock, 1879-1881
W. MacMillan, 1883-1889
Arch. Dewar, 1891 — .
Immediately after the Disruption a congregation was formed in this district, and a church was built at Ardow. The parish schoolmaster, Mr. Macdonald, was turned out of house and school because he adhered to the Free Church. No other house was available, so for a time he and his family were accommodated in the new church, which was still without flooring. During service a part was curtained off for Mrs. Macdonald and the children. In 1864 a second church was built at Fanmore, Torloisk, about 6 miles from the first. The charge was sanctioned in 1872. The manse was erected at Kilmore in 1875. Both churches were repaired, a vestry being added to that at Ardow. Among other places services were also held at Sorne, 5 miles from Ardow; at Mornish, also 5 miles distant; and in the island of Gometra, 22 miles distant by road and ferry.
1875, 88 (including adherents);
Alexander Paterson, 1873 — .
A preaching station was maintained here from the Disruption, although supply was somewhat irregular, especially in winter. The church was built in 1849, and the charge was sanctioned in 1877. The manse was erected in 1885, and a new church was built in 1896. The site for church and manse was given by John Sinclair of Lochaline at the nominal annual duty of one Scots penny. Robert Macfie of Airds left £1000, the interest to augment the congregational contributions to the Sustentation Fund. Latterly the Free Church people in Morven were nearly all families who came from other districts, the few who “came out” at the Disruption having emigrated.
Peter M’Iver, 1878-1882
Alexander MacDiarmid, 1882 — .
The southern part of the island of Mull was, from the Disruption, in charge of the minister of Iona. A church was built at Torosay in 1845. An unsuccessful application was made in 1849 to have Kilfinichan (Brolas) and Torosay sanctioned as a united charge. In 1890 Ross was disjoined from Iona, and united with Brolas as one charge.
1891, 157 (including adherents);
John Stewart, 1890 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption by those who adhered to the Free Church. The congregation, prohibited from erecting even a tent in which to worship, had recourse to the expedient of a floating church, which was anchored in the loch, about July 1846. It was driven ashore by a storm, but was still accessible. Difficulties as to sites were removed at length, and a manse was built about the time of the first minister’s settlement. The church was erected in 1869.
John M’Queen, 1853-1867
Alexander M’Leod, 1868 — .
Only a few “came out” at the Disruption here, and they were without a minister until in 1853 they were united in one charge with Coll. The working of the two islands was found to be difficult, and in 1862 they were formerly [sic] separated. In 1876 Tiree was sanctioned as a separate charge. The church at Kirkapol was built in 1880, the manse in 1884, and the church at Balinol in 1888.
1883, 182 (including adherents);
1900, 100 (including adherents).
John M’Leod, M.D., 1878-1880
D. T. Mackay, 1882 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption. A church was built and a manse purchased within a few months of that event. The first minister was, during all his ministry here, the only Free Church minister on the island of Mull. A new church was erected in 1878.
Peter Maclean, 1843-1855
Christopher Munro, 1857-1864
Charles Ross, M.A., 1869-1892
John A. Campbell, M.A., 1893 — .
After the Disruption, for a considerable time the adherents of the Free Church met for worship in a gravel pit, exposed to the weather and also to the inroads of the spring tides. The Salen Church was built in 1846 on a site leased for thirty years, at Achdashenag, a mile from the village. The Torosay Church was erected at Lochdonhead in 1852. The manse was built at Craignure in 1872-73. A new church was built at Salen in 1883. The Torosay Church was renovated in 1898. In later years the farming industry declined, and most of the land was turned into deer forest.
1866, 100 (including adherents);
James Dempster, 1869-1875
J. R. M’Neill, 1876-1880
A. Lamont Shaw, 1881-1889
George Sutherland, 1890 — .