Congregations 4


 

16. PRESBYTERY OF AYR

Return to Index of Congregations


 

AYR – MARTYRS’

This congregation, originally Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876. Their church, at the junction of George Street and John Street, Wallacetown, was built in 1832. Before the Union the fortunes of the congregation were very low. About 1880 new industries were opened in the town, bringing the opportunity, which was eagerly embraced, of work as a mission church. From that time the membership gradually improved.

Membership

1877,41;

1900, 190.

Minister

Thomas H. Lang, 1876 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

AYR – NEWTON-ON-AYR

James Stevenson, minister of the parish, and a large part of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They met for worship in a Congregational church until December of that year, when their own church was opened. About 1845 they purchased the Charity School buildings, and in 1847 built a school. The manse was erected in 1850. A new church was erected on the old site in 1862. A mission was carried on in Wallacetown until 1854, when it was sanctioned as a territorial charge.

Membership

1848, 600;

1900, 589.

Ministers

James Stevenson, M.A., 1843-1865

John Miller, 1866 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

AYR – ST. ANDREW’S

In the interests of the southern district of the town, which was growing rapidly, this congregation was formed in 1890 by office-bearers and members of Wallacetown Church. The charge was sanctioned in 1891, and a handsome church was soon erected. The name at first was Wallacetown Artillery Hall Congregation, but was changed to St. Andrew’s at sanction.

Membership

1893, 205

1900, 412

Minister

William Hay, B.D., 1892 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

AYR – WALLACETOWN

William Grant, minister of Wallacetown quoad sacrachurch, and the bulk of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. At first they were called the Ayr and Wallacetown congregation. About two months after the Disruption they were deprived of their church and for a time they worshipped in a timber yard in the morning, and in the Reformed Presbyterian Church in the afternoon and evening. In 1844, Mr. Grant and his congregation were transferred to Ayr. Services were held here under the Newton congregation, until in 1854 the charge was sanctioned. They worshipped in the “Wooden Kirk” until 1860, when their new church in John Street was opened. A house for a manse was purchased near the church.

Membership

1859, 233;

1900, 302.

Ministers

Andrew Rowand, 1854-1890

A. G. Murdoch, B.D., 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

AYR – WEST

Neither of the ministers of Ayr “came out” in 1843. Charge of this parish and that of St. Quivox was entrusted to William Grant, minister of Wallacetown, and James Stevenson, minister of Newton. On being deprived of the church at Wallacetown, Mr. Grant and his congregation were transferred to Ayr. A wooden building was erected and opened in October 1843. Here the congregation worshipped till November 1845, when the new church was opened. Subsequently a house was purchased for a manse. A hall for mission purposes was built in 1880. Removal of the population from the centre of the town to the outskirts, accounts for decline in membership.

Membership

1848, 600;

1900, 459.

Ministers

William Grant, 1843-1876

C. G. M’Crie, D.D., 1877 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BALLANTRAE

This congregation was formed at the Disruption. At first it was under charge of Ebenezer B. Wallace, minister of Barr, assisted by a probationer. The first minister was called in September 1843. The church was built in 1844, and the manse in 1845. A new church was erected in 1875. The congregation suffered heavily through decline of the population.

Membership

1848, 192;

1900, 93.

Ministers

James Porteous, 1843 —

James Henderson, M.A., 1894-1900

William Garvie, M.A., 1900 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BARR

Ebenezer B. Wallace, minister of the parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped in a tent till the end of the year, when their new church was opened. The manse was built in 1844. The membership was greatly reduced in 1865 when the congregation split over the election of a colleague to Mr. Wallace. A new church was erected in 1892. The pulpit Bible dates from 1698. Emigration told adversely on the congregation.

Membership

1848, 205;

1900, 94.

Ministers

Ebenezer B. Wallace, M.A., 1843-1869 [Vol.1 says he died in 1867.]

John Ferguson, 1865-1891

John Angus, 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BARRHILL

Occasional services were arranged in this district in November 1843.InApril 1844 it was united with Colmonell under one probationer. The people found this irksome, the two places being 7 miles apart. In 1849 it was sanctioned as a separate charge. The church was built in 1850, and the manse in 1851. The property was considerably improved in subsequent years.

Membership

1848, 120;

1900, 156.

Ministers

John Stevenson, 1849-1868

John Nixon, 1869-1886 [Vol.1 says he retired 1885 and died 1886.]

John G. Andrew, M.A., 1885 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

COLMONELL

This congregation was formed at the Disruption. The charge was sanctioned in 1844; butfor some years no minister was called, the probationer settled here having charge also of Barrhill. The Original Secession congregation at Colmonell joined the Free Church, and their minister, Dr. Laing, became minister of the united congregation in 1853. The church was built in 1844, largely by gratuitous labour, and the manse in 1857. A new church was erected in 1898. The Reformed Presbyterian church at Poundland, 2 miles away, was closed, and many of the members came to the Free church. The interest on a legacy left by Mr. Davie was paid annuallytothe Sustentation Fund.

Membership

1855, 109;

1900,107.

Ministers

Benjamin Laing, D.D., 1853-1862

Duncan Davie, 1863-1896

Hamilton Campbell, 1896 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

CROSSHILL

The united charge of Crosshill and Dalrymple was sanctioned in 1845. In 1849 they were disjoined as separate stations. The church was built in 1848. The charge was sanctioned in 1856. The manse was erected in 1861. In the circumstances of the population, there was no room for expansion of the congregation. Some of the people worked on the farms, others in the boot and shoe factories in Maybole.

Membership

1859, 128;

1900, 110.

Ministers

John M’Lennan, 1856-1892

F. Gordon Macleod, 1893-1900.

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DAILLY

Dr. William Chalmers, minister of the parish, and a large part of his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. At first they worshipped in the open air. The church was built in 1844; the manse in 1845-46. A school was maintained, first in the vestry, and then in a separate building, up till 1876.

Membership

1848, 260;

1900, 166.

Ministers

William Chalmers, D.D., 1843-1845

Alexander Russell, LL. D., 1845-1852

Peter Richardson, B.A., 1853-1892

John Arnott, M.A., 1892-1898

Archibald Lamont, B.D., 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DALMELLINGTON

This congregation was formed of adherents of the Free Church in Carsphairn and Dalmellington.In both parishes preparation had been made in view of the Disruption. In Carsphairn the movement was led by the parish minister, who, however, finally remained in the Establishment. At first the whole district, from Dalrymple to Carsphairn, was put under charge of Mr. Spiers of Patna. The Carsphairn part of the congregation met in houses, barns, or on the hillside, until 1844, when the church was built at Lamloch. Those at Dalmellington worshipped in a small scho[o]lroom; then in a dwelling-house which had been turned into a hall. The church was erected in 1851, and the manse in 1853. Church and manse were subsequently renovated. When the lead mines were closed the church at Lamloch, according to agreement, passed into the hands of the proprietor, and was long unused.

Membership

1848, 231;

1900, 286.

Ministers

Edward Hayman, 1845-1891

L. MacLauchlan, 1880-1882

D. Campbell, 1882 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DALRYMPLE

In June 1843 supply was given to the adherents of the Free Church here. From 1845 to 1849 Dalrymple and Crosshill were worked jointly. In the latter year they were separated. The charge was sanctioned in 1861. The people worshipped for a time in the open air, then in Kirkton Inn, and then in a smithy. No site for a permanent building could be obtained. Land was leased for nineteen years from a farmer, and a wooden building erected in 1846, known as the “Spale Kirk.” The church was built in 1864, and the manse in 1868. Hall and porch were added to the church in 1893, when the manse also was enlarged. The manse stands on the site of the school which Robert Burns attended for one winter, week about with his brother Gilbert, when the family was at Mount Oliphant farm.

Membership

1866, 82;

1900, 116.

Ministers

James Clark, 1861-1883

James W. Findlay, 1884-1898

J. O. F. Gracie, B.D., 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DUNDONALD

This congregation was formed at the Disruption, and was at first under the charge of Mr. Burns of Monkton, with the assistance of a probationer. The church was built in 1843, and the manse in 1849. The church was reconstructed in 1885.

Membership

1848, 165;

1900, 115.

Ministers

Andrew Cunningham, 1843-1845

David Simpson, 1846-1861

John Kelman, D.D., 1862-1866

A. M. Craig, M.A., 1867-1872

William Ross, 1873-1882

Robert C. Strang, M.A., 1882-1890

A. J. Macnicol, B.D., 1891-1896

James Moffatt, D.D.,1896 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GIRVAN

The adherents of the Free Church who formed this congregation at the Disruption came mainly from the quoad sacrachurch which had been erected in 1842. Trouble arose in May 1844 when they wished to call P. Hately Waddell, probationer, to the pastorate. He had been prominent as a student in the Free Church cause; but he refused to sign the confession, especially chapter xxiii., because of his views on voluntaryism and the duties of the civil magistrate. His licence was withdrawn on the ground of contumacy; and his followers formed an independent congregation in Girvan.This crippled the Free Church congregation from the outset. They worshipped in the “Extension Church” until they were deprived of it in 1855. From that time they met in the school until their own church was opened in 1857. A house for manse was bought in 1846. It was sold in 1885, and a new manse erected. After 1867 the congregation suffered through decline of the population, due to the failure of hand-loom weaving.

Membership

1848, 250;

1900, 204.

Ministers

Adam Blyth, 1845-1867

James Cunningham, M.A., 1867-1872

Gordon Webster, M.A., 1872-1887

R. G. Colquhoun, B.D., 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GIRVAN – WEST

This congregation, originally Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876. It was found unnecessary to maintain a second congregation in Girvan, and in 1879 the charge was reduced to a preaching station.

Membership

1877, 63; 1878, 73.

Ministers

John Jackson, 1876

John Allan, 1877-1879.

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KIRKOSWALD

This congregation was formed by members and adherents who left the Established Church at the Disruption. In 1845 a catechist was appointed to work in Kirkoswald and the neighbouring village of Maidens. That year the congregation was recognised as a preaching station. The lease of certain old properties in Kirkoswald village was purchased, and on the site thus secured the church was built in 1849. The charge was sanctioned in 1860. A manse was erected in 1862.

Membership

1866, 90;

1900, 148.

Ministers

R. H. Arbuckle, 1860-1897

W. R. Kerr, M.A., 1897 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

MAYBOLE

Andrew Thomson, minister of the parish, and a large number of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. A wooden church was at once erected. The permanent church, with manse, was built in 1844. A hall was added in 1883, and a new manse was erected in 1885. This church at first supplied the adjoining parishes of Kirkmichael, Dalrymple, and Kirkoswald. The membership fluctuated with the prosperity and depression of trade in the town, and it suffered through emigration from the rural district.

Membership

1848, 570;

1900, 424.

Ministers

Andrew Thomson, 1840-1845 [From 1843 a Free Church minister]

S. O. Dods, 1846-1856 [Vol.1 says he resigned 1854.]

James Moir, M.A., 1854-1881

Robert M’Grouther, 1881 (October 13th till November 11th)

W. M. Macphail, M.A., 1882-1885

W. D. Glendinning, 1886 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

NEW CUMNOCK

Matthew Kirkland, minister of the parish, and nearly all the congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. The church was built in 1843, the school, subsequently used as church hall, and teacher’s house in 1844, and the manse in 1846.

Membership

1848, 500;

1900, 352.

Ministers

Matthew Kirkland, 1843-1846

Gilbert Johnstone, 1847-1850 [Under Govan – Sumerton it says he left here in 1851.]

George Anderson, 1851-1889

Mark Scott, 1886-1887

William Scott, 1887 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

NEW CUMNOCK – AFTON

This congregation, originally Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876. The church was built in 1867, replacing an older building. The manse was erected in 1860. The membership somewhat increased after union with the Free Church.

Membership

1877, 86;

1900, 97.

Ministers

Matthew Hutchison, 1876-1900

Adam Hamilton, M.A., 1900 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

NEW CUMNOCK – BANK

In 1874 regular services were begun in this mining district, about 2 miles from New Cumnock. The charge was sanctioned in 1877. The congregation worshipped in an iron church till a permanent church was built and opened in 1900.

Membership

1878,110;

1900, 192.

Ministers

James Armstrong, 1878-1895

John Mechie, M.A., 1896 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

OCHILTREE

This congregation was formed in 1843, when seven elders “came out” of the parish church. It was for a time in charge of a probationer. Church, manse, and school were built soon after the Disruption. The congregation received much help from friendly proprietors.

Membership

1848, 184;

1900, 123.

Ministers

Joseph Patrick, M.A., 1844-1871

J. S. Macdonald, 1872-1881

A. A. G. MacLeod, 1881 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

OLD CUMNOCK

Ninian Bannatyne, minister of the parish, and many of his people, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped for a time in the United Secession Church, the use of which was granted after 2 o’clock every Sunday. The church was built and opened in October 1843. A manse was also erected. In 1899 the old church was replaced by a new building, the gift of Miss Crichton of Hillside, called “The Crichton Memorial Church.” A successful school was carried on till 1873. Miss Crichton left legacies amounting to £2500, half the interest being devoted to upkeep of the church buildings, and half to supplement the minister’s stipend. Miss Crichton and Mr. George Goldie also gave property, the annual rental of which, amounting to over £70, is applied to the upkeep of the church buildings and congregational purposes.

Membership

1848, 300;

1900, 234.

Ministers

Ninian Bannatyne, M.A., 1843-1874

Alexander Adamson, B.D., 1874-1882

John Warrick, M.A., 1883 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PRESTWICK

Dr.Thomas Burns (nephew of the poet), minister of the parish, and the majority of the congregation, “came out” in 1843. Mrs. Reid of Adamton, patroness of the parish, also adhered to the Free Church. They worshipped in the open air during the summer of 1843, on the farm of Orangefield, near Monkton. The first church was built in Monkton and opened in December 1843. From 1846 services were conducted also in a school in Prestwick. The growth of Prestwick was more rapid than that of Monkton. A church was built in Prestwick in 1874, the church at Monkton being afterwards used as a church hall. The manse was built in 1885. The church was enlarged in 1896, hall, etc., being added.

Membership

1848, 330;

1900, 313.

Ministers

Thomas Burns, D.D., 1843

John M’Farlan, 1843-1854

William Wilson, M.A., 1855-1864

Alexander Stirling, 1865-1881 [Vol.1 says 1886.]

Kirkwood Hewat, M.A., F.S.A.. 1881 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

STAIR

This congregation was formed at the Disruption, and worshipped for three months in the open air on the farm of Burn, then at Schaw farm, and after that in a workshop at Bogside. The new church was opened in March 1844. The manse and a stable for the convenience of farmers driving to church were built in 1848. An iron hall for Sunday school, etc., was erected in 1897. In December 1843, Tarbolton was associated with Stair congregation. It was disjoined in 1861. Owing to rural depopulation the membership declined till about 1885, when coal pits were opened in the neighbourhood. It fell off again when these were closed.

Membership

1848, 130;

1900, 146.

Ministers

Neil Livingston, D.D., 1844-1899

John Ewing Thomson, M.A, 1886 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

SYMINGTON

George Orr, minister of the parish, and his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. For a time they worshipped in a vacant public-house, fitted up for the purpose; the minister living in a hired room in a farm house. Church and schoolhouse were built by February 1844. The manse was erected in 1846.

Membership

1848, 210;

1900, 102.

Ministers

George Orr, 1843-1882

John Ferguson, 1855-1865

T. M’Cracken, M.D., 1865-1869

M. P. Johnstone, 1869-1873

D. S. Hamilton, 1874 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

TARBOLTON

Immediately after the Disruption evening services were provided for the local adherents of the Free Church, and in the end of July 1843 the congregation was organised. In December following it was associated with Stair as one charge. The church was built in 1844, and the manse in 1863. The congregation was sanctioned as a separate charge in 1861. In 1892 it was reduced to a station, and put in charge of an ordained probationer. Sanction was restored in 1896.

Membership

1848, 100;

1900, 149.

Ministers

R. C. Lindsay, 1862-1871

William Young, 1872-1878

William F. Anderson, 1879-1890

Ewan Bisset, O.P., 1890-1893

Alexander Rodger, O.P., 1893-1896; full status, 1896 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

TROON

Office-bearers and members who “came out” at the Disruption formed the congregation here. The buildings first occupied by them were those subsequently used as the Court Buildings of Troon. The manse was built before 1850, and the church in Portland Street, in 1856.

Membership

1848, 170

1900, 404

Ministers

Robert Ross, 1843-1846

A. H. Cowan, 1846-1885

W. M. Macgregor, D.D.. 1886-1890

W. M. Mackay, B.D., 1891-1898

Alexander White, 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

17. PRESBYTERY OF IRVINE

Return to Index of Congregations


 

CATRINE

William Hutcheson, minister of the quoad sacrachurch at Catrine, and most of his congregation, “came out” in 1843, and shortly afterwards were deprived of the church by interdict. They had little difficulty, however, in providing a new church. At first the congregation belonged to Ayr Presbytery, but in 1861 it was transferred to that of Irvine.

Membership

1848, 546;

1900, 280.

Ministers

W. Hutcheson, 1843-1844

John M’Gowan, 1844-1874

A. C. Gordon, M.A., 1875 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DARVEL

This congregation, originally Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876. The church, which dates from 1785, was rebuilt in 1835, and again in 1885. The manse, erected in 1810, was enlarged after 1850. In November 1882, on the introduction of paraphrases and hymns in the church service, about eighty members left and formed an Original Secession congregation. With the growth of the lace industry the population considerably increased.

Membership

1877, 168;

1900, 305.

Ministers

M. G. Easton, D.D., 1876-1894

Robert Bonellie, 1894 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DUNLOP

Matthew Dickie, minister of the parish, with two elders and about twenty members, “came out” in 1843. Services were held in the upper flat of a house in the village. The church was built in 1845, and the manse in 1848. After Mr. Dickie’s translation, soon after the Disruption, about three years passed before the settlement of his successor.

Membership

1848, 95;

1900, 149.

Ministers

Matthew Dickie, 1843

Peter M’Leish, D.D., 1846-1888

James Yule, 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

FENWICK

At the Disruption Robert Ferguson, minister of the parish, had just accepted a call to Edinburgh. The office-bearers and people who “came out” formed a Free Church congregation in the summer of 1843. The church was built in 1844. In this year the charge was sanctioned, but no minister was settled till 1846. The manse was erected in 1852. The population declined with the decay of the handloom weaving industry.

Membership

1848, 104;

1900, 72.

Ministers

Hamilton Gibson, 1846-1848

R. C. Craig, 1849-1889

R. M. Wardrop, 1884 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GALSTON

This congregation was formed after the Disruption by Free Church residents in the Irvine Valley. The charge was sanctioned in January 1844. That year a church was built, and a manse in 1846. In 1846 the members from Newmilns and Loudoun parish were disjoined to form the Loudoun Free Church. A new church was erected in 1888, and a new manse in 1900. The local industries being coal-mining and lace manufacture, there were many young men and women in the congregation.

Membership

1848, 220;

1900, 271.

Ministers

Robert M’Indoe, 1844-1877

Adam Maxwell, 1877-1883

J. G. Sutherland, B.D., 1884 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

HURLFORD

In December 1846 services were begun in Crookedholm, in the church which had been vacated by the Reformed Presbyterian congregation on its removal to Kilmarnock. Recognised as a station in 1852, the charge was sanctioned, as that of Hurlford, in 1856. Church and manse were erected in 1857. A quoad sacra,church, with generous endowments, was built in 1874. Serious fluctuations in trade and the shifting character of the population also affected the congregation.

Membership

1859, 140;

1900, 276.

Minister

William Reid, 1857 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

IRVINE

In June 1847 a movement for the formation of a Free Church congregation was begun by the Free Church adherents in Irvine. In October of that year the congregation was recognised as a preaching station. On a second application, the charge was sanctioned in 1849. The congregation at first worshipped in Hamilhill Chapel. The church was built about 1849. The manse was a legacy to the congregation from Mr. Rankine.

Membership

1855, 146;

1900, 294.

Ministers

William Cousin, 1850-1859

R. S. Macaulay, 1860 — .

[Perhaps this goes here: Donald G. Ross, 1900 – Vol.1]

Return to Index of Congregations


 

IRVINE – FULLARTON

David Wilson, minister of this quoad sacrachurch, and a strong congregation, “came out” in1843. Church and manse were erected soon after the Disruption.

Membership

1848, 312;

1900, 400.

Ministers

David Wilson, 1843-1881

J. J. Kelly, 1881-1894

Hugh M’Luskie, 1895 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMARNOCK— BRAEHEAD

This congregation was formed in 1880 by a large secession of members from St. Marnock’s Established Church. They worshipped for a time in the Corn Exchange Buildings. Church and halls were erected on the site of the opera-house buildings. The congregation was admitted to the Free Church in 1883.

Membership

1884, 510;

1900, 413.

Ministers

A. D. King, 1883-1889

Robert M’Lean, 1890-1891

Andrew Goodall, 1892 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMARNOCK – GRANGE

This congregation was begun in 1876 by a section of the High Church congregation. Church and halls were erected in a district with a large and increasing population. The charge was sanctioned in 1877.

Membership

1878, 318;

1900, 457.

Minister

James M. M’Culloch, 1877 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMARNOCK – HENDERSON

This was originally a Secession congregation. It joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, and in 1843 adhered to the Free Church. The first church, built in 1772, was on the Gallowsknowe. A new church was erected in 1818, and also a manse. A new manse was built in 1874.

Membership

1848, 222;

1900, 366.

Ministers

Peter Campbell, 1843-1850

David Landsborough, LLD., 1851 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMARNOCK – HIGH

Dr. Thomas Main, minister of the High parish, and nearly all his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They were joined by a number from the Laigh church. From June 1843 till July 1844 they worshipped in King Street Relief Church. The new church was opened in 1844. A manse was built in 1845, and the church hall in 1849. A new manse was erected in 1863. In 1876 a section of the congregation left to form the Grange Church.

Membership

1848, 879

1900, 822.

Ministers

Thomas Main, D.D., 1843-1857

P. W. Robertson, M.A., 1858-1870

J. M. MacLauchlan, B.A., 1871-1875 [This is I. M. MacLauchlan – see Vol.1]

R. R. Thom, 1876 —

Daniel Lamont, B.D., 1900 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMARNOCK – MARTYRS’

Originally Reformed Presbyterian, this congregation joined the Free Church in 1876. Church and manse had been built in Mill Lane on the migration of the congregation from Crookedholm in 1825. A new manse was erected in 1881. John Howie, author of Scots Worthies,was a member of this congregation. The first movement towards the union with the Free Church consummated in 1876, was made in the session of this congregation in June 1843.

Membership

1877, 188;

1900, 376.

Minister

William Clow, 1876 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMARNOCK – ST. ANDREW’S

Neil Brodie, minister of St. Andrew’s quoad sacrachurch, and the greater part of his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. The church was built in 1844, and the manse in 1849. The church was reconstructed in 1886.

Membership

1848, 500;

1900, 512.

Ministers

Neil Brodie, 1843-1844

William Young, 1844-1869

William Leitch, D.D.,1869-1876

John MacQueen, M.A., 1877-1883

Hugh Ross, 1883 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMAURS

This congregation was formed as a preaching station at the Disruption. The charge was sanctioned in April 1844. The church was built the same year, and the manse in 1845. The church was rebuilt in 1881, a hall added in 1889, and additions made in 1898. The manse was enlarged in 1848.

Membership

1848, 141;

1900, 230.

Ministers

James M’Conechy, 1844-1846

James Maxwell, 1848-1885

George Macaulay, M.A., 1886-1898

John B. Macpherson, M.A., 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LOUDOUN

In 1845 the Loudoun and Newmilns section of Galston congregation was disjoined to form the Loudoun congregation, and the charge was sanctioned in 1846. That year the church was built, and the manse in 1848. In the early “eighties,” with the failure of handloom weaving, many members left the district; but the introduction of steam-power mills brought an increase of population, to the advantage of the congregation.

Membership

1848, 274;

1900, 317.

Ministers

Andrew Noble, 1847-1882

Thomas Fowler, M.A., 1880-1891

Thomas Marshall, M.A., 1891-1896

R. Bruce Taylor, M.A., 1896-1899 [Vol.1 says the translation here was in 1900.]

John Fulton, B.D., 1900 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

MAUCHLINE

This congregation was formed of the members who “came out” of the parish church in 1843. They worshipped in the United Secession Church for a time. The church and manse were built in 1844. A new church was built on the old site in 1884-85. The congregation was greatly indebted to Claud Alexander of Ballochmyle for sympathy and generous help. He gave a free site for the church, and a site for the manse at the nominal feu-duty of 1d. per pole.

Membership

1848, 245;

1900, 233.

Ministers

Gilbert Johnstone, 1844-1847

George Fairley, 1848-1878

John J. W. Pollock, M.A., 1878-1887

William Binnie, M.A., 1887 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

MUIRKIRK

This congregation was formed after the Disruption by those in the parish who adhered to the Free Church. The charge was sanctioned, and the church built in 1845. A gallery was added later. The manse was erected in 1851. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1891. The congregation at first belonged to the Presbytery of Ayr, but was transferred in 1861 to that of Irvine.

Membership

1848, 145;

1900, 224.

Ministers

Samuel W. Reid, 1845-1847

Robert Noble, 1849-1896

J. Greenshields, B.D., 1890 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PERCETON AND DREGHORN

This congregation was formed soon after the Disruption. With the liberal assistance of Mr. Muir Macredie of Perceton, church and manse were built near his house, before February 1844. For the greater convenience of the members, a new church and manse were built in 1877 in the village of Dreghorn. Mrs. Macredie purchased the old buildings.

Membership

1848,149;

1900,305.

Ministers

John Connell, 1844-1895 [Vol.1 says he resigned 1894.]

J. E. Adams, B.D., 1894 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

STEWARTON

The Original Secession congregation in Stewarton, which joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. Their church, built in 1841, was retained by the congregation. This was the church with which the great “Stewarton Case “ was concerned. The manse was built in 1834.

Membership

1848, 320;

1900, 221.

Ministers

David Arthur, 1843-1851

Samuel Kennedy, 1852-1859

James Clugston, 1859-1893

Thomas Cassels, M.A,, 1894 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

18. PRESBYTERY OF ARDROSSAN

Return to Index of Congregations


 

ARDROSSAN

This congregation was formed in 1844 by sympathisers with the Free Church in the town. The church was built in 1844, and the charge was sanctioned in November 1845. A new church was erected in 1859. It was afterwards enlarged and improved.

Membership

1848, 98;

1900, 364.

Ministers

John Stewart, 1846-1886

Allan Cameron, 1887-1892

R. M. Adamson, M.A., 1892 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BEITH

This congregation was formed at the Disruption, and church and manse were built. A new church was erected after 1878. In 1858, Miss Agatha Shedden left a legacy of £800 for maintenance of the minister and upkeep of the church buildings.

Membership

1848, 243;

1900, 302.

Ministers

Matthew Dickie, 1843-1863

David Lowe, 1864-1867

Hector Hall, M.A., 1867-1877

H. F. Henderson, M.A., 1878-1893

Thomas Wilson, 1893-1896

David Baillie, M.A., 1897 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DALRY

This congregation was formed in June 1843. The charge was sanctioned in February 1844. The congregation worshipped for a time in the Burgher Church. A new church was built and opened in July 1845. A school and teacher’s house, afterwards erected, were taken over by the School Board in 1872, the congregation reserving the right to use the building when not used for school purposes. The manse was built in 1846. The congregation split in 1885 over choice of a minister, when 120 left with disjunction certificates.

Membership

1848, 350;

1900, 209.

Ministers

Alexander Steele, 1844-1884

Nathan Cosh, 1885-1895

Arnold Boyd, M.A., 1897 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

FAIRLIE

Dr. John Gemmel, minister of the quoad sacra church at Fairlie, and most of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They were soon deprived of their church, and met for a time in the school, which had been built by two members of the Free Church congregation at their own expense. But the lease had not been fully completed, and the proprietor sent notice between 8 and 9 o’clock on a Saturday evening that they could no longer have the use of it. Services were then conducted in a stable at Fairlie Lodge. The church was opened in 1844, and the manse was erected in 1848. The church was burned down in 1876, and rebuilt in 1877.

Membership

1848, 78;

1900, 127.

Ministers

John Gemmel, D.D., 1843-1884

W. S. Fleck, M.A., 1875 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILBIRNIE— EAST

This congregation was formed on June 11, 1843. A hall for public worship was erected before the month of August. The church was built in 1844, in which year the charge was sanctioned. The manse was erected in 1845.

Membership

1848, 234;

1900, 314.

Ministers

Samuel Spence, LL. D., 1844-1891

A. B. Brown, M.A., 1881-1894

James Muir, M.A., 1895 — [Vol.1 says he was translated to Aberdeen – Melville in 1900.]

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILBIRNIE— WEST

This congregation, originally Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876. The church, which dates from 1825, was rebuilt in 1888. The manse was erected in 1830.

Membership

1877, 160;

1900, 289.

Minister

Alexander Davidson, 1876 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILBRIDE

The Kilbride Free Church was formed in 1843 at Brodick; Lamlash, Whiting Bay, and Corrie being included in its district. Church and manse were built. After the first minister’s death, eight years elapsed before a successor could be found to accept a call. A new church was built in 1852. In 1874 a number of members were disjoined who formed the church at Whiting Bay. In a similar way the Lamlash Free Church was formed in 1885.

Membership

1848, 191;

1900, 119.

Ministers

John Macalister, 1844 (May 9-December 17)

Alex. Cameron, LL. D., 1874-1888

J. K. Cameron, M.A., 1890 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMORY

Angus M’Millan, minister of the parish, and the majority of his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. The church was built in 1843, and the manse in 1844, at the south end of the island. Until the church was ready the people worshipped in the open air at Lagg.

Membership

1848, 280;

1900, 111.

Ministers

Angus M’Millan, 1843 (May-October)

D. M’Rae, M.A., 1845-1868

Hugh Munro, 1869-1880

Andrew Grant, 1886-1889

William M’Millan, 1889 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILWINNING

A station was established here at the Disruption, under the supervision of Dr. Landsborough of Stevenston. The charge was sanctioned in 1845. The church was built in 1846 on a site presented by Miss Donald of Kilburnie. The manse was erected in 1848. A new church was built in 1861. Rapid development of the coal and iron industries after 1844 brought increase of population, from which the congregation benefited.

Membership

1848, 230;

1900, 342.

Ministers

William Pinkerton, 1846-1891

A. H. Charlton, 1890 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LAMLASH

In 1885 the Lamlash portion of the Brodick congregation were disjoined, and formed the congregation at Lamlash, on the footing of a preaching station. They worshipped in the public school till 1892, when the church was erected. The charge was sanctioned in 1896. In 1898 the manse was built. The church was provided largely to accommodate the numerous summer visitors. The congregation lost a good many members in 1900.

Membership

1897, 72;

1900, 79.

Minister

James Kennedy, 1897 — -.

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LARGS

John Dow, minister of the parish, and many of his members, “came out” in 1843. The building of the church was begun in September of that year. The manse was the gift of a member of the congregation. It was enlarged during Mr. Douie’s ministry. The church was renovated in 1885-88. Handloom weaving, the chief industry in 1843, disappeared. The place became a popular seaside resort.

Membership

1848, 265;

1900, 294.

Ministers

John Dow, 1843 (May-July)

D. B. Douie, 1843-1863;

Charles Watson, D.D. 1864 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

SALTCOATS – LANDSBOROUGH

Dr. Landsborough, minister of Stevenston parish, and the majority of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The church was built and opened in January 1844, on a site gifted by Dr. Dow of Greenock. The manse was erected in 1847. A school was built in 1858, the cost being largely met by a legacy of £200 left by Miss M’Leish. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1869-70; and a new manse was purchased in 1889. The congregation benefited by the revival of 1859, after the visit of Brownlow North and other evangelists.

Membership

1848, 255;

1900, 470.

Ministers

David Landsborough, D.D., 1843-1854

Joseph Davidson, 1855-1867

David Scott, D.D., 1867-1897

W. D. M. Sutherland, 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

SALTCOATS – GAELIC

John Hamilton, minister of the Gaelic quoad sacra church, and practically all his members, “came out” in 1843, and became known as the Saltcoats Free Gaelic congregation. Their church was taken from them and they were placed at great disadvantage. In 1852 the charge was reduced to a preaching station. The church was built in 1867, and in 1868 sanction was restored. The manse was erected in 1887. With the decrease of the Gaelic-speaking population the membership greatly declined, having fallen to fifty in 1898. As the congregation increased from that date Gaelic became unnecessary.

Membership

1870, 198;

1900, 199.

Ministers

John Hamilton, 1843-1845

Donald Gray, 1868-1897 [Vol.1 says that he became senior minister in 1898 and died, 1899.]

Charles Lamont, 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

STEVENSTON

Dr. Landsborough, minister of the parish, who “came out” in 1843 with many of his people, found it necessary to erect the new church in Saltcoats. After much difficulty a site was obtained in Stevenston, by the grant of a Mr. Warner, and here a church was built, and opened in February 1845. The charge was sanctioned in 1846. In 1887 a new church was built, the old church being bought and gifted to the congregation by a member, James W. Boyd, and called thereafter, Woodside Hall.

Membership

1848, 205;

1900, 302.

Ministers

James White, 1847-1866

James Treadwell, 1867-1876

Joseph Forrest, M.A., 1876-1885

John Livingstone, 1885 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

WEST KILBRIDE

Thomas Findlay, minister of the parish, and a considerable part of his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. At first they worshipped in a hall. Their own church was built, and opened in December 1843. The manse was erected in 1846. A new church was built on another site in 1881.

Membership

1848, 100;

1900, 256.

Ministers

Thomas Findlay, 1843-1875

William Mackenzie, 1873 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

WHITING BAY

Whiting Bay was at first associated with Brodick Free Church, about six miles distant. A wooden church was erected in which the minister of Brodick at times officiated, and the Home Mission Committee supplied services in summer. In 1874, Whiting Bay was formed into a preaching station, and a stone church was built. The charge was sanctioned in 1875. The manse was erected in 1878.

Membership

1877, 180;

1900, 133.

Minister

Angus Stewart, 1876 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

19. PRESBYTERY OF PAISLEY

>

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BARRHEAD

Alexander Salmon, minister of Barrhead quoad sacra church, and a large part of the congregation, “came out” in 1843. Five months later they were deprived of the church by interdict, obtained on the Tuesday, but served only on the Saturday evening. For three months the congregation worshipped in the open air, in sight of their own church locked up and empty. The Free Church was erected in 1846; the manse in 1854; and the hall in 1872. Two stations established by this congregation became sanctioned charges, at Neilston and Nitshill.

Membership

1848, 500;

1900, 631.

Ministers

Alex. Salmon, 1843-1849

Gilbert Stewart, 1850-1861

J. M. MacLauchlan, 1862-1871 [This is I. M. MacLauchlan – see Vol.1]

William Young, 1871 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BRIDGE OF WEIR

The Secession congregation at Burntshields sold their church there in 1826, and moved into Bridge of Weir, where a new church and manse were built. In 1839 they joined the Church of Scotland, and in 1843 they adhered to the Free Church. Their building became the property of the Established Church. It was sold to meet a bond on it of £420. It was bought by Robert Freeland of Gryffe Castle, who presented it to the Free Church. A new manse was erected in 1857. In 1876 the cotton mills were closed, and the population declined; but later the place revived as a residential resort. In 1878 an Established church, and in 1892 a United Presbyterian church was opened in the village. The congregation profited by the religious awakening in 1874.

Membership

1848, 142;

1900, 210.

Ministers

W. S. Hay, 1843 (May-August)

James Findlay, 1846-1847

A. Leiper Peock, 1847-1851

G. C. M. Douglas, D.D., 1852-1856

John F. Macgregor, 1857-1867 [Vol.1 says ordained there 1858.]

Thomas Carruthers, M.A., 1868 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

ELDERSLIE

A mission was begun here in 1891, and was under charge of probationers till 1897, when the charge was sanctioned. The congregation met for worship in the village hall. The church was erected, and opened in May 1900.

Membership

1897, 97;

1900, 131.

Minister

Alexander Barr, 1897 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

HOUSTON

This congregation was formed at the Disruption of those who had left the Established Church. A church was built and opened in 1844. Manse and school were also erected the same year.

Membership

1848, 300;

1900, 159.

Ministers

A. R. Findlay, 1843-1874

John Scott, M.A., 1875-1887

George Lang, M.A., 1887 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

INCHINNAN

This congregation was formed by three elders and eighty adherents who “came out “in 1843. For six years they worshipped in a barn at Barsail (Inchinnan), granted and fitted up for the purpose by John Henderson of Park. The church was built in 1849, and the manse in 1860; both gifted by Mr. Henderson. Church and manse were, later, considerably improved. To Mr. Henderson, not himself a member of the Free Church, the Presbytery recorded special thanks for his kindness and great generosity.

Membership

1860, 87;

1900, 74.

Ministers

J. E. Cruickshank, 1859-1863

A. M’Turk, B.D., 1864-1891

Robert M’Lean, 1891-1899

D. W. Macdonald, 1899 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

JOHNSTONE

The congregation was formed here in August 1843. The charge was sanctioned in December following. A hall was rented for public worship. A church was erected on an excellent site, which was granted free of feu-duty by a neighbouring proprietor. The manse was built in 1851.

Membership

1848, 135;

1900, 512.

Ministers

William Hutcheson, 1844-1876

Hugh Mair, 1873-1878

John Jeffray, 1878-1887

J. R. MacGregor, 1887-1899 [Vol.1 says he resigned in 1898.]

Robert M’Lean, 1899 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LOCHWINNOCH

Dr. Robert Smith, minister of the parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped at first in a wooden shed. The church was built, and opened in April 1844. A hall was added later. The manse was erected soon after the Disruption. Two cotton mills furnished most of the employment in the village. Cotton was exchanged for flax during the American War, and this caused a great exodus of the people. The mills were burned, one after the other, and the village was almost deserted. Later, chairworks were started, and things somewhat improved.

Membership

1848, 400;

1900, 250.

Ministers

Robert Smith, D.D., 1843-1865

J. G. Cunningham, D.D., 1859-1876

John Russell, M.A., 1877 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

NEILSTON

Services were begun in this village by the congregation of Barrhead in 1870. The charge was sanctioned in 1873. Soon afterwards church and manse were erected.

Membership

1874, 151;

1900, 223.

Minister

Archibald Ferguson, 1873 — . [Vol.1 spells his name Fergusson.]

Return to Index of Congregations


 

NITSHILL

In February 1844 the congregation here was formed on the footing of a preaching station. A site was secured and the building of a church begun in 1850. The following year, owing partly to the decision of the Established Church Assembly in the Levern case, the station had so fallen off that it was discontinued. About 1869 services were resumed under the congregation at Barrhead. The church was built in 1877. The charge was sanctioned in 1879. The manse was erected in 1880. The Roman Catholic element in the district greatly increased.

Membership

1880, 112;

1900, 177.

Minister

William Omand, 1880 — -.

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PAISLEY – GAELIC

John Campbell, minister of the quoad sacra church here, with his people, “came out” in 1843. Towards the end of 1844, action having been taken against them, they were compelled to leave the church. A new church was soon erected; but the loss weakened and discouraged the congregation.

Membership

1848, 132;

1900, 95.

Ministers

John Campbell, 1843-1845

Allan M’Intyre, 1846-1854

Alex. Munro, 1857-1858

Mackintosh, 1859-1880

Alex. MacNeill, 1881-1887

Wm. Macpherson, 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PAISLEY – HIGH

Dr. John Macnaughton, minister of the High parish, and most of the congregation, “came out” in 1843. For a time they worshipped in the “Low Church” at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.; St. George’s Free congregation meeting there at 12 noon and 6 a.m. Their new church was opened in July 1845. The manse was purchased in 1865. Peter Brough, the Paisley philanthropist, left the congregation an annual sum of £500 for “promoting evangelical labour in Scotland, or furthering missionary labours abroad.” This fund provided the Margaret Brough Memorial Hall, opened in September 1889; and the Storie Street Mission Hall, opened in February 1890.

Membership

1848, 974;

1900, 732.

Ministers

John Macnaughton, D.D., 1843-1849 [In Vol.1 his surname is MacNaughtan.]

John B. Dickson, 1852-1859

James Macgregor, D.D., 1861-1868

James B. Sturrock, 1869 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PAISLEY – MARTYRS’

James Falconer, the minister, and almost the entire congregation of Martyrs’ Parish Church, “came out” in 1843. Formerly the Burgher congregation, they had joined the Church of Scotland in 1839. They continued to worship in the church until expelled by the Paisley Presbytery in August 1844. From eight to twenty persons were left in a church seated for 1194. The congregation worshipped in a saw pit, in the open air, in a schoolroom, in a hired house, etc., till their new church was opened in June 1848.

Membership

1848, 200;

1900, 622.

Ministers

James Falconer, 1843-1844

George P. Young, 1847-1849

James M. Dixon, 1850-1865

Wm. M’Indoe, 1866-1889

Alex. Macmillan, 1890-1899

R. C. Strang, M.A., 1899 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PAISLEY – MIDDLE

This congregation, formed of those who “came out” of the Middle, North, and other congregations, was at first called the “United congregation.” In anticipation of the event, they met in the old Low Church on the first Sabbath of May 1843, eleven days before the Disruption. For some time they worshipped in the Gaelic Church, at alternate hours with the Gaelic congregation. Then they occupied a hall until their church was completed in November 1844. It was reconstructed and enlarged in 1863. That same year a manse was erected on a site presented by James Pollock, an office-bearer. The manse was sold in 1884, and a new manse purchased.

Membership

1848, 400;

1900, 658.

Ministers

Alex. Forrester, D.D., 1844-1848

William Fraser, LL. D., 1849-1879 [Vol.1 says he came here 1848.]

William Macloy, 1881-1882

J. R. Caird, M.A., 1882 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PAISLEY – OAKSHAW

Formerly Reformed Presbyterian, this congregation joined the Free Church in 1876. The church and manse were built in 1810. The church was renovated in 1877. The manse also was enlarged. This congregation was the first to commence mission work in Paisley, and they erected a mission hall for the purpose. William Clark presented to the congregation a hall for Sabbath school, etc., in memory of his wife. The first Penny Savings Bank in Paisley was opened here.

Membership

1877, 270;

1900, 509.

Ministers

George Clazy, 1876-1896

James Cables, M.A., 1897 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PAISLEY – ST. GEORGE’S

Dr. Burns, the minister of St. George’s parish, and his congregation as a whole, “came out” in 1843. The church was built, and opened in May 1844. In 1851 a mission was begun in Orchard Street, and a day school was established in connection with it. In 1855, Mr. Harvey, a deacon, bequeathed £4000 for congregational purposes. The manse was built in 1860, and the hall in Marshall’s Lane in 1867. In 1886 the church was renovated, and church halls in New Street were erected.

Membership

1848, 600;

1900, 604.

Ministers

Robert Burns, D.D., 1843-1845

John Thomson, D.D.. 1845-1883

G. J. Tait, M.A., 1881 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PAISLEY – SHERWOOD

This congregation was formed by the Presbytery in a district on the Glasgow Road, said to contain 12,000 inhabitants. It was worked for a time by an interim session appointed by the Presbytery. The charge was sanctioned in 1889. A church hall was erected, and opened in September 1891. The church was completed in 1892. A silver communion service was presented by Mrs. Stewart and family of Greenhill House; and a freestone baptismal font by James Barclay, Deanville.

Membership

1892, 140;

1900, 669.

Ministers

Hugh Black, D.D., 1891-1896

R. S. Anderson, M.A., 1897.

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PAISLEY – SOUTH

Peter Henderson, minister of Paisley South quoad sacra church, and his congregation, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. They continued to worship in their church until they were deprived of it in 1849. The new church was built, and opened in June 1850. The manse was erected in 1872-73.

Membership

1848, 300;

1900, 628.

Ministers

Peter Henderson, 1843-1844

Alex. Pollock, 1846-1878

Alex. Bannatyne, M.A., 1871-1878

John Paterson, M.A., 1878 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

POLLOKSHAWS – EAST

In December 1848 the first congregation of the Associate Synod in Pollokshaws applied for admission to the Free Church. The Assembly of 1849 sanctioned the arrangement, and the union took place in September of that year. The original church was built in 1764, and had a graveyard attached. A new church was erected in 1870, a manse in 1871, and a hall in 1900.

Membership

1850, 240;

1900, 251.

Ministers

J. C. Blake, M.A., 1851-1855

David Stewart, 1857 —

Alexander Walker, M.A., 1887 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

POLLOKSHAWS – WEST

George Logan, minister of Eastwood, adhered to the Free Church, but died immediately after the Disruption. A congregation was formed in Pollokshaws, and sanctioned by the Assembly’s Committee in March 1844. The people met at first in the open air, then in a joiner’s shop till the “Spale Kirk” was ready. The church was erected in 1846. A gallery was added in 1862. The manse was built in 1868.

Membership

1848, 260;

1900, 305.

Ministers

George Logan, 1843

P. Henderson, 1844-1861

Neil Brodie, 1862-1892

W. M’Alpine, 1883 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

RENFREW

Dr. Duncan Macfarlane, minister of the parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The church was built that year, and the manse in 1845. A new church was erected on the same site in 1882. In later years the population greatly increased.

Membership

1848, 371;

1900, 736.

Ministers

Duncan Macfarlane, D.D., 1843-1853

David Neilson, 1853-1890

Robert Hill, M.A., 1891 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

20. PRESBYTERY OF GREENOCK

Return to Index of Congregations


 

CUMBRAE

James Drummond, minister of Cumbrae, and many of his people, “came out” in 1843. Church and manse were built immediately after the Disruption; also a school, which was maintained till 1875. The old church was sold, and a new one erected in 1875. The resident population declined, but Millport, on the greater Cumbrae, became an attractive summer resort.

Membership

1848, 160;

1900, 188.

Ministers

James Drummond, 1843-1862

Robert Steel, D.D., 1852-1855

Alexander Walker, M.A., 1856 [Vol.1 doesn’t say that he moved. He is presumably still there in 1900.]

Return to Index of Congregations


 

ERSKINE

Dr. R. W. Stewart, minister of the parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. Church and school were erected in 1844, and the manse in 1848. A new school, afterwards used as church hall, was built in 1853, the old school being converted into church-officer’s house.

Membership

1848, 199;

1900, 114.

Ministers

R. W. Stewart, D.D., 1843-1845 [See Vol.1 for something quite different.]

R. R. Caldwell, M.A., 1845-1898 [Vol.1 says he retired 1890.]

R. M. Stewart, M.A., 1890 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GOUROCK

Donald MacLeod, minister of Gourock quoad sacra church, “came out” in 1843. Church and school were erected immediately after the Disruption at the corner of John Street and Royal Street. The manse was built in 1850. A new church and hall were erected in 1856. In 1877 the old church was sold, and the tower of the new church completed. The place grew, and became more residential owing to the extension of the Caledonian Railway to Gourock.

Membership

1848, 225;

1900, 471.

Ministers

Donald MacLeod, 1843-1850

William Fraser, M.A., 1850-1863

Robert M’Ellar, M.A., 1864-1875

Archibald Russell, M.A., 1875-1880

David Purves, D.D., 1881-1898

Homer Young, M.A., 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – CRAWFURDSBURN

This congregation was formed by a committee entrusted with the work by the Presbytery in 1854. It was at first known as Finnieston Church, the name being changed to Crawfurdsburn after Mr. Thomson’s induction. The charge was sanctioned in 1862. The church was built in 1859-60. School and schoolhouse were also erected. In 1898 the school was enlarged and adapted as church hall, with suite of small halls for Sunday school and evangelistic work.

Membership

1866, 252;

1900, 553.

Ministers

Peter Thomson, 1863-1890

R. C. Strang, 1890-1899

George Stewart, 1899 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – GAELIC

Angus M’Bean, minister of the Gaelic quoad sacra church, and almost the entire congregation, “came out” in 1843. Deprived of their church in the end of June, they worshipped first in Duncan Street burying-ground, then in the old West Church. Their new church was opened in September 1844. The manse, purchased in 1869, was sold, and a new manse purchased in 1874. About sixty persons left in 1893 owing to the Declaratory Act. About twenty members and twenty adherents declined to enter the Union in 1900. The Gaelic element in Greenock tended to decline.

Membership

1848, 400;

1900, 385.

Ministers

Angus M’Bean, M.A., 1843-1845

John M’Rae, 1849-1857

John Kennedy, 1859-1870

M. Macaskill, 1873-1884

John Campbell, 1885 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – MARTYRS’

Originally Reformed Presbyterian, this congregation joined the Free Church in 1876. The church, session-house, and vestry were erected in 1861.

Membership

1877, 208;

1900, 214.

Minister

Andrew Symington, 1876 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – MIDDLE

James Smith, minister of the Middle parish, with a large congregation, “came out” in 1843. A new church, the “Brick Kirk,” was opened in August of that year. The manse was built in 1856. The “Brick Kirk” was sold and a new church erected in 1871. The manse was sold, and a new one provided in 1866. Mrs. Robert Shankland presented a chime of bells in 1889. Mission work was begun in Star Hall, Broad Close, in 1856, and afterwards removed to the Arcade Mission Hall.

Membership

1848, 700;

1900, 656.

Ministers

James Smith, M.A., 1843-1886 [Vol.1 says he retired in 1853 and died in 1886.]

John M’Farlan, 1854-1891

M. P. Johnstone, 1879 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – MOUNT PARK

This congregation was formed in 1873, when services were begun in a rented hall. The charge was sanctioned in 1874. A new church, which had been erected in the neighbourhood by the Presbytery, was taken over by the congregation.

Membership

1875, 272;

1900, 453.

Ministers

G. A. Marshall, 1874-1881

John Baird, 1881-1882

A. D. Grant, 1883 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – NORTH

From 1856, mission work was conducted in the Glebe, a crowded and insanitary area, by the Free West congregation, first in St. Andrew’s Chapel, Sir Michael Street, and then in a disused ragged school in Ropework Street. The church vacated by St. Thomas’ congregation in 1859 was bought by a number of gentlemen belonging to the Free Church, and handed over to a body of trustees. Here the nucleus of a congregation gathered in the Glebe was housed, as a mission station, under the West and St. Thomas’ sessions. The charge was sanctioned in 1864. A new church was erected in 1878. An endowment of £3000 was left in 1878 by Archibald Adam, a deacon in the West Church

Membership

1866, 100;

1900, 256.

Ministers

David Boyd, 1864-1900

W. C. Mitchell, M.A., 1900 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – ST. ANDREW’S

Dr. J. J. Bonar, minister of St. Andrew’s Church extension charge, with his congregation, adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. There being a debt on the church building, the creditors let it to the congregation; and finally, as the Established Church did not redeem it, sold it to them. This church was sold in 1881, and a new one erected in the western part of the town.

Membership

1848, 415;

1900, 441.

Ministers

John James Bonar, D.D., 1843-1891

E. D. Fingland, M.A., 1888-1895

D. S. Adam, D.D., 1895 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – ST. THOMAS’

Dr. William Laughton, minister of St. Thomas’ quoad sacra parish, and his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They continued to worship in the church, paying rent to the trustees who held it. In 1857 they purchased the church in West Blackhall Street, which they suitably altered and equipped. The manse was built in 1875.

Membership

1848, 225;

1900, 372.

Ministers

William Laughton, D.D., 1843-1897

John Jeffray, 1887 (February-December)

W. L. Robertson, M.A., 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – WELL PARK

This congregation, formerly Original Secession, joined the Church of Scotland in 1839, and adhered to the Free Church in 1843. In 1853 the church was purchased by the railway company, and a new church was built in the neighbourhood of Well Park. The name was then changed from Cartsdyke to Well Park.

Membership

1848, 540;

1900, 418.

Ministers

James Stark, 1843-1890

Matthew Reid, B.D., 1873 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GREENOCK – WEST

Dr. Patrick M’Farlan, minister of the West parish, and the majority of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. A church was built in Ardgowan Street in 1844. In 1862 this building was sold, and a new church erected on the opposite side of the street. The mission carried on by the congregation was formed into a charge in 1864, as the Free North Church.

Membership

1848, 627;

1900, 597.

Ministers

Patrick M’Farlan, D.D., 1843-1849

John Nelson, D.D., 1851-1878 [Under Newport it says that he was translated in 1850.]

Hugh Macmillan, D.D., LL. D., 1878 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

INVERKIP

This congregation was formed of those who “came out” from the parish church at the Disruption. In July 1843 a probationer was appointed to Inverkip, and a moderator of session. The Assembly’s Committee at once sanctioned the charge. Great evangelical enthusiasm made the formation of the congregation easy. Difficulty was experienced in securing sites for church and manse. The former was erected in 1845, and the latter in 1849.

Membership

1848, 104;

1900, 77.

Ministers

John Anderson, 1843-1851 [-1850, Vol.1]

Peter Douglas, 1851-1880

James H. Thomson, B.D., 1880-1884

James Bannerman, M.A., 1885 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMACOLM

A congregation was maintained here, on the footing of a preaching station, from 1843 till 1859. It was then given up in favour of a United Presbyterian Church which had been formed. The population of the village having greatly increased, the enterprise was renewed in 1880. A hall was erected in 1881; and that year the charge was sanctioned. The church was opened in June 1895.

Membership

1882, 78;

1900, 211.

Ministers

James Durran, M.A., 1881-1884

Thomas Gregory, M.A., 1884 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PORT-GLASGOW – HAMILTON

James Morison, minister of the quoad sacra church in Port-Glasgow, “came out” in 1843, and formed a congregation of the adherents of the Free Church in the town. Church and manse were erected.

Membership

1848, 430;

1900, 558.

Ministers

James Morison, 1843-1852

John Henderson, 1853-1857

John Kelman, D.D., 1858-1862

William Bell, M.A., 1863-1897

W. B. MacLeod, 1897 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PORT-GLASGOW – NEWARK

This congregation, originally Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876, taking the name of Newark Free Church. The church was built in 1857. A gallery was put in later. In 1879 a house was purchased for a manse. A new church was erected in Brown Street in 1886.

Membership

1877, 277;

1900, 335.

Minister

Alexander Baird, 1876 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PORT-GLASGOW – WEST

To meet the needs of the growing population westward of the town, a mission was established in 1873, under Hamilton congregation. A corrugated iron church was erected that year. The charge was sanctioned in 1878. The site was not convenient; the building was inadequate; and the town did not develop as much as was expected in the locality.

Membership

1879, 37;

1900, 135.

Ministers

J. V. Macnair, 1880-1884

J. N. Russell, B.A., 1885 — .

Return to Index of Congregations