Congregations 14


 

66. PRESBYTERY OF DORNOCH

Return to Index of Congregations


 

ASSYNT

Charles Gordon, minister of the parish, and almost the whole congregation, “came out” in 1843. Neither site nor house for the minister and his family could at first be got in the parish. The Duke of Sutherland refused a site, and when one was granted by a neighbouring proprietor, he tried to prevent the people from using the quarries on his estate. In a few years church and manse were built, 14 miles from the old church, and 2 ½ miles from Lochinver village. In 1878, to meet the necessities of the people, a church was erected at Elphine, and, in 1893, a church and manse close to Lochinver. School buildings were also provided.

“Assynt was for many decades a stronghold of the ‘Separatists.’ Those people, many of whom had remarkable mental and spiritual gifts, separated from the church because of the moderatism that prevailed in the Highlands. Their attitude towards the regular ministry was critical and suspicious; and their teaching, especially in regard to the Communion, often very narrow. They left a deep mark on this and other parishes, owing to the strength of their leaders, called ‘ the men’“ (N. N. M.).

Membership

1850, 362 (including adherents);

1900, 24.

Ministers

Charles Gordon, 1843-1873

Norman Nicolson Mackay, 1874 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

CLYNE

George Mackay, minister of the parish, “came out” in 1843, and brought a large congregation with him. For a time they worshipped in a wooden structure. A church and manse were built in 1849, and a hall in 1880.

Membership

1855, 700 (including adherents);

1900, 90.

Ministers

George Mackay, D.D., 1843-1845

John Macdonald, 1850-1866

John Murray, 1869-1900.

Return to Index of Congregations


 

CREICH

Services were provided by the Presbytery for the people adhering to the Free Church in this parish until the settlement of a minister in August 1843. In this year the church was built, and the manse in 1849. A new church was erected in 1881.

Membership

1855, 630 (including adherents);

1900, 392.

Ministers

Gustavus Aird, D.D., 1843-1898

Norman Campbell, M.A., 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DORNOCH

The minister of Dornoch, with a large congregation, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. Church and school buildings were erected in 1844. The manse was built in 1882. The church was renovated in 1896.

Membership

1855, 900 (including adherents);

1900, 100.

Ministers

Angus Kennedy, M.A., 1843-1855

G. R. Kennedy, 1837-1880 [He began his Free Church ministry there in 1843. Vol.1 says he became senior minister in 1880 and died in 1899.]

Neil Taylor, 1882-1889

James Macdonald, B.D., 1892 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GOLSPIE

At the Disruption the people adhering to the Free Church in the parish were put under the care of two neighbouring ministers. They worshipped in a chapel belonging to Abbey Close congregation, Paisley, which was made over to the Free Church. The charge was sanctioned in 1845, when a church was in course of erection.

Membership

1855, 500;

1900, 370.

Ministers

Charles Mackenzie, M.A., 1845-1889

John Mackenzie, 1889 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

HELMSDALE

The adherents of the Free Church at Helmsdale were at first under the care of a missionary, who was called, and settled in July 1843. For a time no site could be obtained, the congregation worshipping in a fish-curing yard by the river. The church and manse were erected in 1845. A new church was built in 1892.

Membership

1855, 1119 (including adherents);

1900, 400.

Ministers

John Macdonald, M.A., 1843-1854

Robert Finlayson, 1856-1861

Alexander Murchison, 1862-1876

D. M. M’Rae, M.A., 1878-1886

Andrew Grant, 1889 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LAIRG

The aged minister of Lairg “came out” in 1843, but, owing to the attitude of the Duke of Sutherland, was obliged to leave the district (see Annals of the Disruption, p. 188). The Presbytery in this emergency ordained his son as missionary minister. The latter was translated to Nairn in 1845, and then a colleague was appointed. A site was ultimately secured, and church and manse erected.

Membership

1855, 300 (including adherents);

1900, 47.

Ministers

D. M’Gillivray, M.A., 1843-1849

John Macpherson, 1845-1885

John Noble, 1885 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

ROGART

Neighbouring ministers at first took charge of the adherents of the Free Church in this parish. The charge was sanctioned in 1845. A church had been built, and the congregation was well organised when a minister was settled in 1846.

Membership

1855, 650 (including adherents);

1900, 448 (including adherents).

Ministers

Alexander M’Leod, 1846-1869

Alexander Mackay, 1873-1887

William Logan, B.D., 1889-1896

Donald Mackintosh, 1897 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

ROSEHALL

John D. Kennedy, minister of Rosehall, with a considerable congregation, “ came out” at the Disruption. Soon afterwards the church and manse were built. There was a rapid decrease in the population.

Membership

1855, 400 (including adherents);

1900, 55.

Ministers

John D. Kennedy, 1843-1873

John Falconer, M.A., 1872-1890

John Ross, 1891 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

STOER

Peter Davidson, minister of Stoer, and a large number of his people, adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. At the settlement of Mr. Davidson’s successor in 1848, the district of Kyleside was disjoined from Assynt and annexed to Stoer. Church and manse were provided.

Membership

1859, 600 (including adherents);

1900, 17.

Ministers

Peter Davidson, 1843-1845

John Ross, 1848-1888

D. Finlayson, M.A., 1890 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

67. PRESBYTERY OF TONGUE

Return to Index of Congregations


 

ALTNAHARRA

In this remote district of the parish of Farr, at the head of Strathnaver, the people, about 160 in number, all adhered to the Free Church in 1843. The minister of Farr gave them occasional services. The charge was sanctioned in 1869. Church and school had already been built, and a manse was in prospect. With the settlement of Mr. Mackay in 1871, the session record that “the thread of organised church life was resumed after a long and dreary gap of fifty-two years.” The “gap” was caused by the great Strathnaver evictions in 1819, when, in a single day, Donald Sage, minister of the church which formerly stood at Achness, with 1600 of his people, was ejected.

Membership

1877, 47;

1900, 7.

Ministers

J. S. Mackay, 1871-1889

Alexander Sutherland, 1891 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DURNESS

William Findlater, minister of Durness, and nearly all his people, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. At first no reply was given to an application for a site. The congregation worshipped in a tent pitched near the shore, and the minister’s family had to live in Thurso. Church and manse were erected in 1845.

Membership

1855, 300 (including adherents);

1900, 28.

Ministers

William Findlater, 1843-1869 [Vol.1 says he resigned 1865.]

James Ross, 1865-1891

Adam Gunn, M.A., 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

EDDRACHILLIS

George Tulloch, minister of the parish, and all the people save four families, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. For several years they worshipped in a hollow near the seashore. Church and manse were completed at Scourie in 1846. A number seceded to the Free Presbyterians in 1893, and in 1900 a few remained outside the Union.

Membership

1855, 272 (including adherents);

1900, 17.

Ministers

George Tulloch, 1843-1880

Donald Campbell, 1876-1894

John Mackay, 1894-1896

D. M. Macintyre, 1897 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

FARR

David Mackenzie, minister of Farr, and nearly all his people, “came out” in 1843. For two years, unfortunately misled by his factors, the Duke of Sutherland persecuted the Free Church. After himself attending a Free Church service at Lairg in 1845, he made the factors change their attitude. The Farr congregation, which had for some time worshipped in a tent, then obtained a site, on which church, manse, and schoolhouse were erected. A few seceded over the Declaratory Act.

Membership

1855, 500 (including adherents);

1900, 90.

Ministers

David Mackenzie, M.A., 1843-1868

Donald Mackenzie, 1870 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KINLOCHBERVIE

A large majority of the population adhered to the Free Church in 1843, although the minister of the Parliamentary Church stayed in the Establishment. Regular supply was given. Church and manse were built in 1846. Both were renovated in 1882. A minister was settled in 1848. A small section seceded in 1892 because of the Declaratory Act. Fishermen and crofters formed the bulk of the congregation. The population tended to decrease.

Memberships

1855, 350 (including adherents);

1900, 22.

Ministers

Thomas Fraser, 1848-1862

Donald Corbet, 1864-1880

Duncan Finlayson, 1881 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

MELNESS AND ERIBOLL

The missionary in charge of Melness adhered to the Free Church, but was unable to work after the Disruption. A catechist was appointed in 1844. Churches were built at Melness and Eriboll. The Established church at Melness, being empty, was converted into a public school. Later the proprietor gave the manse to the people. A minister was settled in 1855. A new church was built in 1900.

Membership

1859, 340 (including adherents);

1900, 65.

Ministers

Lachlan Macdonald, 1855-1858

James Cumming, 1861-1894

Cathel Kerr, M.A., 1894-1900

Ranald MacDonald, M.A., 1900 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

STRATHY AND HALLADALE

The minister of Strathy did not “come out” in 1843. Supply was provided for the adherents of the Free Church, together with those from the district of Halladale and others from the parish of Reay. For these churches were to be provided, one at Strathy, the other in Strath Halladale. A site was secured at Strathy in 1845, and the charge was sanctioned in 1847. Owing to local difficulties no minister was settled till 1862.

Membership

1860, 620 (including adherents);

1900, 110.

Ministers

Malcolm M’Ritchie, 1862-1869

Christopher Munro, 1870-1885

Walter Calder, 1886 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

TONGUE

The minister of Tongue adhered to the Free Church in 1843, but he was so infirm that his son was at once appointed his colleague. Both died within a month, in 1845. All the people in the eastern district of the parish, estimated at 1400, adhered to the Free Church, except nine families. The congregation at first worshipped in a tent. A suitable site having been obtained, church and manse were erected in 1846.

Membership

1855, 750 (including adherents);

1900, 75.

Ministers

H. M. Mackenzie, 1843-1845

William MacKenzie, 1843-1845

George Mackay, 1846-1877

J. R. M’Neill, 1880 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

68. PRESBYTERY OF CAITHNESS

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BERRIEDALE

Samuel Campbell, minister at Berriedale, “came out” in 1843. The congregation worshipped in an old schoolhouse at Ramscrags for some years. Not until 1857 was it possible to secure a site, and then church and manse were built at Dunbeath.

Membership

1848, 10;

1900, 68.

Ministers

Samuel Campbell, 1843-1868 [Vol. 1 says he resigned in 1866.]

Ronald Dingwall, 1871-1877

C. G. Ross, 1878 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BOWER

William Smith, minister at Bower, a man advanced in years, although he had favoured the Evangelical party, did not “come out” in 1843. The majority of the people, however, adhered to the Free Church, led by David Steven, who was distinguished by his progressiveness among “the men” of Caithness. He organised and conducted services in his barnyard, and, along with Matthew Dunnett, got up the new buildings. Many workmen gave their labour free. The church had low stone walls and a rather flat wood roof, covered with felt and tarred. The walls were raised and the roof slated in 1855. Renovations were effected in 1892-95. The manse was built in 1844. In earlier years the congregation was larger. It suffered through depopulation of the district, owing to emigration and land conditions, from about 1870 onwards.

Membership

1855, 450 (including adherents);

1900, 92.

Ministers

John M’Beath, 1844-1847

John Durran, 1851-1891

James Winter, M.A., 1891-1892

A. L. Skene, M.A., 1892 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BRUAN

This was a mission of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. John Sinclair, the minister, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. The Society, interdicted from recognising as their agent any minister not connected with the Established Church, withdrew from the mission; and the proprietor handed over the buildings to the Free Church. The charge was sanctioned in 1845, and a minister was settled in 1847. A wing was added to the manse in 1853.

Membership

1855, 500 (including adherents); 1900, 102.

Ministers

John Sinclair, 1843

Robert Rose Mackay, 1847-1866

William Gray Murray, 1865 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

CANISBAY

The minister at Canisbay did not “come out” in 1843. Services were arranged for the local adherents of the Free Church. In 1845 church, manse, and school were erected. The charge was sanctioned in August 1843, but no minister was settled till 1851. The property was renovated between 1893 and 1895. The population, composed chiefly of crofters and fishermen, located in groups averaging about four miles from the church, found in it a common centre. The congregation suffered heavily from emigration.

Membership

1855, 520 (including adherents);

1900, 162.

Ministers

Roderick M’Gregor, 1851-1889

Donald Davidson, 1890-1897

J. Iverach Munro, M.A., 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

DUNNET

Immediately after the Disruption services were provided for adherents of the Free Church, and the church was sanctioned in August 1843. A minister was settled in June 1844. In that year church and manse were built. The church, which at first had a felt roof, was slated in 1849. The people are partly seafaring. After the introduction of steam the seamen lived in the larger seaports, and so the population declined.

Membership

1855, 330 (including adherents);

1900, 90.

Ministers

D. Campbell, 1844-1876

D. Mowat, M.A., 1876 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

HALKIRK

John Munro, minister of Halkirk, “came out,” with a large congregation, in 1843. A site was granted by Sir George Sinclair of Ulbster, and a church was built, and opened in March 1845. A large amount of free labour was given. The minister occupied a house in the village. The manse was built in 1849. A new church was built in 1886. In 1894 about 40 persons seceded to the Free Presbyterian Church. Emigration also told against the congregation.

Membership

1855, 630 (including adherents);

1900, 136.

Ministers

John Munro, 1843-1847

Hector Fraser, 1848 —

Alexander Mackenzie, M.A., 1896 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KEISS

The minister of Keiss, and many of his people, “came out” in 1843. As no site could be got for church and manse, he left the district, and the vacant charge was reduced to a preaching station. The church was built in 1852, and the manse in 1869. A new church was erected in 1894. The charge was sanctioned again in 1860. The congregation improved until the fishing industry reached its height about 1864, but with the decline of that industry the congregation suffered in size and resources.

Membership

1866, 320 (including adherents);

1900, 83.

Ministers

Robert Innes Gunn, 1861-1879

D. F. Sage, 1880-1890

[Charles Rolland Ramsay, 1890-1891 – Vol.1]

Donald Brims, M.A., 1891 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LATHERON

The minister and all the population, except three heads of families and four other persons, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. At first the congregation worshipped in the open air. The church was built, and opened in December 1843, and the manse in 1860. Progress was greatly hindered by evictions and emigration.

Membership

1848, 30;

1900, 78.

Ministers

George Davidson, M.A., 1843-1873

J. D. M’Culloch, 1867-1889

G. M’Fadyen, 1890 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LYBSTER

The congregation of Lybster quoad sacra church adhered to the Free Church in 1843, and continued to occupy the church until they were interdicted. By that time, 1847, their own church was ready for use. Some years later the manse was built. The church was enlarged and a vestry added in 1877. In 1897-98 it was renovated, and a hall built. Owing to the decline, locally, of the fishing industry, and emigration, from about 1880 the population decreased, adversely affecting the congregation.

Membership

1855, 8oo (including adherents);

1900, 126.

Ministers

John Mackay, M.A., 1844-1874

Alexander Lee, M.A., 1875-1878

James Dempster, 1879-1881

Colin Sinclair, 1882-1885

Hugh Matheson, B.D., 1887 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

OLRIG

The minister of Olrig, with a large congregation, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. Church and manse were built soon after the Disruption, also a school and schoolmaster’s house. The minister and congregation remained outside the Union in 1900.

Membership

1855, 768 (including adherents); 1900, 14.

Ministers

William Mackenzie, 1843-1857

Alexander Auld, 1855 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PULTENEYTOWN

The congregation of Pulteneytown quoad sacra church adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. As Pulteneytown had not been a parish, the British Fishery Society’s grounds were allotted to this congregation as their district. The church was built in 1853, and the manse in 1873.

Membership

1855, 600 (including adherents);

1900, 167.

Ministers

William Taylor, M.A., 1843-1856

George Stevenson, 1858-1886

Nigel C. Roberton, 1887 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

REAY

Finlay Cook, minister of Reay, with a large congregation, “came out” in 1843. Church and manse were erected in 1844. The population greatly decreased after 1843.

Membership

1855, 665 (including adherents);

1900, 88.

Ministers

Finlay Cook, 1843-1858

Donald Munro, 1860-1896

James Macdonald, 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

THURSO – FIRST

Dr. Walter Ross Taylor, and his large congregation here, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. The church was built immediately, double-roofed, after the usual Disruption plan. The manse was bought in 1850. A new church was erected about 1875; and a mission hall in 1898.

Membership

1855, 1200 (including adherents);

1900, 352.

Ministers

Walter Ross Taylor, D.D., 1843-1896

Geo. H. Morrison, D.D., 1894-1898

Alexander Soutar, M.A., 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

THURSO – WEST

This congregation, formerly Original Secession, joined the Free Church in 1852. The congregation was defeated in a lawsuit regarding the property, and they built a new church in 1860.

Membership

1859, 400 (including adherents);

1900, 132.

Ministers

David Burn, 1852-1882

J. C. Connell, 1876-1894

Herbert Reid, M.A., 1895 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

WATTEN

Alexander Gunn, minister of Watten, and many of his people, “came out”| in 1843. They were fortunate in obtaining at once a suitable site, on which church and manse were erected.

Membership

1855, 500 (including adherents);

1900, 105.

Ministers

Alexander Gunn, 1843-1892

W. G. Robertson, M.A., 1892 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

WESTERDALE, ETC.

The missionary at Auchrenny adhered to the Free Church in 1843. In August 1843 a site was granted by the proprietor at Westerdale Bridge, and there church and manse were erected. The charge was sanctioned by Commission of Assembly in the following October.

Membership,—1855, 600 (including adherents);

1900, 68.

Ministers

Robert Rose Mackay, 1844-1847

David Ferguson, 1849-1887

Angus Mackay, M.A., 1889 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

WICK

Charles Thomson, minister of Wick, and a large congregation, “came out “ in 1843. A site was obtained, and church and manse were erected soon after the Disruption. A new church was built in 1863.

Membership

1855, 1200 (including adherents);

1900, 363.

Ministers

Charles Thomson, 1843-1871

George Renny, 1871-1897

Joseph Traill, B.D., 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

WICK – MARTYRS’

This congregation, formerly Reformed Presbyterian, joined the Free Church in 1876, carrying their church and manse with them.

Membership

1877, 70;

1900, 100.

Minister

Finlay M. Harper, 1877 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

69. PRESBYTERY OF LOCHCARRON

Return to Index of Congregations


 

APPLECROSS

Almost all the population of this district adhered to the Free Church in 1843. A catechist was placed in charge, and ordained ministers gave services from time to time. At first the congregation worshipped in the open air. A church was built in 1845, and the charge was sanctioned in 1847, but no minister was settled till 1859.

Membership

1861,400 (including adherents);

1900, 23.

Minister

Kenneth M’Donald, 1859 —

[Angus M’Iver, 1900 – Vol.1]

Return to Index of Congregations


 

COIGACH

The people of this district adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. A church was built, but in 1854 it was still unseated. Originally in charge of the minister of Lochbroom, Coigach was disjoined from Lochbroom at Mr. M’Leod’s death in 1871. The charge was sanctioned in 1872, and a minister was settled in October of that year.

Membership

1876, 202 (including adherents);

1900, 26.

Ministers

Archibald Beaton, 1872-1880

John Finlayson, 1880-1886

Donald M’Leod, 1888 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GAIRLOCH

To provide for the adherents of the Free Church in the district, a catechist was appointed immediately after the Disruption. A minister was settled in 1844. His call was signed by upwards of 1000 persons. The membership suffered through emigration, especially of the young people.

Membership

1855, 750 (including adherents);

1900, 63.

Ministers

Duncan Matheson, 1844-1873

John Baillie, 1875-1891

William M’Kinnon, 1894 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GLENELG

In this district, 100 miles long by 30 broad, 500 of the population adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. An ordained minister, who had hitherto laboured here, was employed elsewhere by the Highland Committee, and for a time the district was left without regular services. A church was built at Glenelg soon after the Disruption, and in 1856 a meeting-house was erected at Arnisdale, Loch Hourn. In 1859 the Assembly recognised Glenelg as a Disruption charge, and a minister was settled in August 1861. [Vol.1 says the minister of the Knoidart Mission “came out” at the Disruption and was settled in Glenelg in 1843.]

Membership

1860, 200 (including adherents);

1900, 21.

Ministers

[George Corbet, 1843-1863 Vol.1]

John M’Leod, 1861-1886

D. M’Lennan, M.A., 1887-1892

A. J. Watson, M.A., 1893-1896

Alexander M’Diarmid, 1899 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GLENSHIEL

A catechist was appointed to the district of Kintail and Glenshiel in 1852. The following year a church was built in Kintail, conveniently placed for people in both parishes. In 1858 these districts were placed under the care of the minister of Lochalsh. Owing to considerable accessions to the congregation at Glenshiel, a church there became necessary in 1864. The charge was sanctioned in 1866, and a minister was settled in 1867.

Membership

1868, 400 (including adherents);

1900, 14.

Ministers

Angus Mackay, 1867-1897

Kenneth Macrae, 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KINLOCHEWE, AULTBEA

In July 1844, in response to a petition to the Presbytery from the adherents of the Free Church in Kinlochewe, the minister of Gairloch was asked to preach there as frequently as possible. The interests of the congregation were greatly furthered by Mr. Finlay Graham, a teacher in the Ladies’ Highland Association School, which had been opened here. He started the movement for the building of a church in 1871. The population then numbered about 300 over fourteen years of age, and there was no place of worship within 19 miles. Regular services were begun in 1875. The charge was sanctioned in 1889.

Membership

1889, 173 (including adherents);

1900, 19.

Minister

Finlay Graham, 1892-1899.

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LOCHALSH

In response to an application made by the adherents of the Free Church at Dornie Ferry, the Presbytery organised a congregation at Ardleve, Lochalsh. A church was built, and a minister settled in January 1844. He was instructed to preach alternately at Ardleve and Dornie. In 1846-47 the congregations of Lochalsh and Plockton both became vacant. Both charges were united under the minister settled at Plockton in 1850. In 1856 it was arranged that a minister should be placed at Lochalsh and have charge also of Kintail and Glenshiel. No settlement, however, was made till 1862. The church at Ardleve was renovated in 1866.

Membership

1861, 450 (including adherents);

1900, 50.

Ministers

Alexander M’Leod, 1844-1846

John Macpherson, 1862-1876

Alexander M‘Coll, 1877-1889

Angus Galbraith, 1893 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LOCHBROOM

Dr. Thomas Ross, minister of Lochbroom, adhered to the Free Church, but died shortly after the Disruption. Church and manse were built in the village of Ullapool. A church was erected in 1854 for the Coigach section of the congregation, and another, later, at little Lochbroom. In 1893 a number seceded from the congregation to join the Free Presbyterians. A diminishing population made it difficult to maintain the strength of the congregation.

Membership

1855, 422 (including adherents);

1900, 126.

Ministers

Thomas Ross, LL. D., 1843

George M’Leod, 1844-1871 [Vol.1 says he retired in 1870 and died in 1871.]

John MacMillan, 1872 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

LOCHCARRON

The whole congregation of Lochcarron, save a few individuals, adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. The church was built in 1846, and the manse in 1859. Fully a third of the congregation seceded to the Free Presbyterians in 1893. More than half of those who remained did not enter the Union in 1900.

Membership

1861, 550 (including adherents);

1900, 41.

Ministers

Donald Forbes, 1859-1898

Roderick Morison, L. A., 1899 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

PLOCKTON

Alexander Macdonald, minister of the Parliamentary Church at Plockton, with many of his people, “came out” in 1843. Church and manse were soon erected. From 1850 to 1856 Lochalsh also was under the charge of the minister of Plockton.

Membership

1855, 800 (including adherents);

1900, 28.

Ministers

Alexander Macdonald, 1843-1844

William Sinclair, 1850-1899.

Return to Index of Congregations


 

POOLEWE

Donald M’Rae, minister of Poolewe, and his congregation, “came out” in 1843. He was soon called to Tarbert, and a probationer was placed in charge. The congregation worshipped in the open air. The charge was sanctioned in 1847, and shortly thereafter church, manse, and school were erected.

Membership

1855, 1000 (including adherents); 1900, 153.

Ministers

Donald M’Rae, 1843

James Noble, 1849-1864

William Rose, 1866-1874

R. Dingwall, 1877 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

SHIELDAIG AND TORRIDON

Colin Mackenzie, minister of Shieldaig, and almost all the people, adhered to the Free Church in 1843. Mr. Mackenzie was translated to Arrochar the following year, and a catechist was stationed here. The Assembly of 1864 recognised Shieldaig as a Disruption charge. A minister was settled in 1872. Efforts to obtain a site were fruitless till 1874. Church and manse were erected in 1877. Torridon was severed from Shieldaig in 1890, and placed under the moderatorship of the minister of Applecross. In 1892 most of the Shieldaig people became Free Presbyterians. In 1894 Torridon and the remnant of the congregation at Shieldaig were reunited. A section did not enter the Union in 1900.

Membership

1866, 600 (including adherents);

1900, 34.

Ministers

Colin Mackenzie, M.A., 1843-1844

Donald Macdonald, 1872-1893

William Johnston, B.A., 1894 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

70. PRESBYTERY OF ABERTARFF

Return to Index of Congregations


 

ARISAIG

A congregation was formed here in 1844, and the Highland Committee arranged for services from that date until 1890, when the charge was sanctioned. Church and manse were provided. There were then only 160 Protestants in the district, of whom 119 adhered to the Free Church.

Membership

1890, 56 (including adherents);

1900, 5.

Minister

Murdo Smith M’Lean, 1898 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BALLACHULISH – NORTH

John Macmillan, minister of the Parliamentary Church of Ballachulish and Ardgower, with his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The district served by the church then included both sides of Loch Lcven, and extended inland to Glencoe. In 1877 a separate charge was formed south of Loch Leven, including Glencoe. A site for church, manse, and glebe was given on generous terms by Lochiel, the superior, and building was begun in 1845.

Membership

1855, 160 (including adherents);

1900, 33.

Ministers

John Macmillan, 1843-1844

John M’Tavish, D.D., 1844-1851

Robert M’Gillivray, 1853-1865

William Macdonald, 1866-1876

William MacKinnon, 1878-1884

J. A. Macaskill, 1884 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

BALLACHULISH – SOUTH

The district south of Loch Leven, including Glencoe and Durer (formerly attached to Appin), was severed from Ballachulish, North, and erected into a separate charge, in 1877. The church had been built in 1874. The manse was erected in 1882. After 1878 the slate quarry industry declined, adversely affecting the congregation.

Membership

1878, 143 (including adherents);

1900, 40.

Minister

Duncan Macmurchy, 1878 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

FORT AUGUSTUS AND GLENMORISTON

To Mr. Lauder of Glengarry, the only missionary in the extensive district of Glenmoriston who adhered to the Free Church in 1843, was entrusted the work of organising the Free Church congregation. A site was granted at Fort Augustus by the proprietor of Abertarff, where church and manse were erected. The charge was sanctioned in 1844. Services were held alternately at Fort Augustus and Glenmoriston. In 1878 Glenmoriston was sanctioned as a separate charge.

Membership

1859, 23;

1900, 42.

Ministers

Francis Macbean, 1844-1869

Alexander M’Coll, 1870-1877

D. A. Macdonald, 1878-1888

J. S. Mackay, 1889 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

FORT WILLIAM

Charles Stewart, ordained missionary here, and his congregation, “came out” in 1843. In September of that year they were interdicted from use of the church. Until 1846, when the church was built, they worshipped in “The Red Store,” a building given by a member of the congregation. Delay in building was due to difficulties in obtaining a site. A new church was built in 1890, the old one being sold. The manse was erected in 1851. Improved means of communication, by rail and steamer, have brought an increase to the population, and consequent development to the congregation.

Membership

1855, 260 (including adherents);

1900, 176.

Ministers

Charles Stewart, 1843-1886

John M’Intosh, 1881 —

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GLENMORISTON

This district was originally under the charge of the minister of Fort Augustus, 12 miles distant. On the petition of the people, almost all of whom adhered to the Free Church, a separate charge was sanctioned in 1878. A church was erected here.

Membership

1880, 14;

1900, 28.

Ministers

D. M’Innes, 1879-1889

Wm. MacKinnon, 1891-1894

Donald M’Innes, B.D., 1895 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

GLENURQUHART

The congregation here “came out” in 1843, and were supplied by catechists under the charge of Mr. Fraser of Kirkhill. Church and manse were built in 1844-46. The first minister was settled in December 1844. The resident population steadily decreased, but in later years the number of summer visitors greatly increased.

Membership

1855, 1000 (including adherents);

1900, 83.

Ministers

Alexander Macdonald, 1844-1864

Angus M’Rae, 1866-1892

Alexander Mackay, 1892 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMALLIE

Thomas Davidson, minister of the parish, and most of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The minister was interdicted from preaching in the glebe or churchyard, and from using the timber he had cut down before leaving the manse. Public worship was conducted on the shore. Not until 1847 was a site obtained, and the necessary buildings erected.

Membership

1855, 400 (including adherents);

1900, 39.

Ministers

Thomas Davidson, M.A., 1843-1871

Murdo MacKenzie, 1873-1887

D. Macfarlane, 1888-1893

Alexander M’Coll, 1895 — .

Return to Index of Congregations


 

KILMONIVAIG

The congregation here was organised by the ordained missionary at Glengarry, who adhered to the Free Church in 1843. At his translation in 1844, a catechist was appointed. For a time the people did not dare to ask for a site on which to erect a church. Worship was conducted in the open air, or in a small and quite unsuitable apartment. Finally a site was obtained at Gairlochy, and a church was built there in 1860. A minister was settled in 1859. As regards area this is the largest parish in Scotland, being 60 miles long by 40 miles broad. The population is widely scattered. Many of them are Roman Catholics.

Membership

1859, 64;

1900, 57.

Ministers

William Lauder, 1843-1844

Evan Gordon, 1859-1866

D. Sutherland, 1867 — .

Return to Index of Congregations