This quoad sacra church was vacant at the Disruption; but the congregation “came out,” and elected as minister the probationer who was then supplying. They were interdicted from using the church, and the meeting of Presbytery to deal with the call was held in the Grant Lodge Hall, the sermon being preached in the open air. This hall was afterwards purchased, and a church was erected on the site in 1850. The minister lived in a farmhouse till the manse was built in 1879. Many members of Blairdaff joined the Kemnay Church when it was opened. The population steadily declined.
David Mitchell, M.A., 1843-1876
Alexander Yule, M.A., 1877-1887
John Stalker, M.A., 1887 — .
The minister of the parish, five or more elders, and a numerous congregation, “came out” in 1843. Owing to difficulty in securing a suitable site, church and manse were built at Harlaw. In 1853 they were transferred to Pitcaple. The congregation suffered through decrease of the population.
a href=”http://ecclegen.com/?p=1607#SIMSON, HENRY”>Henry Simson, 1843-1850
George Bain, 1850-1893 [He retired 1885, Vol.1.]
James Burnet, 1886 — .
The well-known intrusion which occurred in this parish caused the congregation to separate from the establishment a year and a half before the Disruption. They encountered bitter opposition. A manse was built in the parish of Ythan Wells; but for about twenty-five years they were compelled to worship in a wooden structure, in a most awkward and inconvenient situation. A site was at last obtained, and church and manse were erected in 1867. The decline of the population, owing to the closing of the slate quarries, and the disappearance of small farms, seriously affected the numbers on the roll.
Patrick Robertson, 1846-1867
Alexander Murray, 1857-1862
A. B. Barkway, 1862-1878
D. Carnegie, M.A., 1878 — .
This congregation was organised immediately after the Disruption, and put under the care of a probationer. A manse and temporary church were built in 1843, and a minister was settled in October of that year. A new church was erected in 1852. Later it was renovated, vestry and church hall being added. The manse was enlarged. The population of the rural district diminished, but that of the village increased.
W. Elmslie, M.A., 1843-1880
James Henderson, M.A., 1880-1885
A. E. Spence, 1886 — .
This congregation was organised in June 1843, the first meeting being held in the Congregational church. Church, manse, school, and schoolhouse were soon erected. Later a mission hall was built; and a church hall and cottage were acquired by gift. Subsequently a new church and manse were built on other sites, the old buildings being sold.
Thomas Gray, 1843-1867
P. W. Minto, 1868-1885
W. Cruikshank, M.A., 1885 — .
Religious gatherings had been held for some time in Kemnay by members of the Free Church, when in 1864 it was recognised as a preaching station. The charge was sanctioned in 1866. For some years services were held in a hall for which a nominal rent was paid. A cottage was bought for a manse in 1871. Church and hall were erected in 1873. The granite quarries were opened about the “sixties,” and as they developed the population increased. The clock in the church tower was the gift of John Fyfe, owner of the quarries.
J. B. Sturrock, 1866-1869
John Dymock, M.A., 1869-1899 [Vol.1 doesn’t mention him leaving Kemnay.]
[Walter Forrest, 1899 – Vol.1]
The minister and about half the members of the parish church “came out” in 1843. They worshipped at first in the Farmers’ Hall. The church, which was forthwith erected, had to be placed in a low position, within flood-mark of the river. A new church in a satisfactory site was built in 1847. A manse also was provided. Granite quarries gave employment to a number of men.
Robert Simpson, D.D., 1843-1870
John Galloway, M.A., 1867 — .
A congregation was formed soon after the Disruption of those who adhered to the Free Church in these two parishes. A missionary was appointed in April 1844, who was settled as minister in August following. Church and manse were erected in 1845. A day school was maintained from 1849 till 1872, when it was taken over by the School Board. A new church was built in 1876. Farming was the only industry in the district, the greater number of young people leaving home when they came to years of usefulness.
R. M’Combie, M.A., 1844-1871
John Burnett, B.D., 1869-1878
W. M’Robbie, M.A., 1878 — .
The minister of the parish and the majority of his congregation “came out” in 1843. They met with much opposition, and endured many trials. At first the only available place for worship was a cart-shed, which did not protect them from the weather. Temporary use was then secured of Alexander Gilmore’s barn at Kirktown of Oyne. During the night, before their first communion, two Established Church farmers entered the barn, and threw out the benches, which were drenched with rain. The congregation, on their arrival, had to replace the benches, damp as they were, and sit on them through the long communion service. The sister of the local blacksmith gave her own garden to the congregation, and here church and manse were erected in 1848. Church hall and vestry were gifted by James Horn of Petmethan House, who also gave endowments for the poor of the congregation, and for augmentation of the minister’s stipend.
D. Simson, 1843-1871
Andrew Galloway, 1871 — .
Soon after the Disruption, services were given for the Free Church residents by members of the Presbyteries of Garioch and Turriff. In 1844 a wooden church was erected at Newseat, and a missionary appointed. The charge was sanctioned in 1853. In that year a site for church and manse, near the wooden church, was granted by William Leslie of Warthill. The manse was first built; then the church in 1856. In 1862 Mr. Leslie cancelled the feu-duty of £2 a year, and granted the site free in perpetuity to the congregation. The church served the parish of Rayne, and also the western part of Fyvie, within the boundary of which parish it stood. The congregation suffered through the great decline of the population.
William Brown, 1853-1876
J. C. Robertson, 1876 — .
The minister of the parish and many of his congregation “came out” in 1843. The first Sabbath they worshipped in a barn. The following week they were interdicted from meeting there; but before the next Sabbath, a wooden church, almost completed in a single day, was ready for them. The church and manse were erected by October 1843. A more commodious manse was provided in 1847, the old manse becoming the schoolmaster’s house. A school was erected in 1850, and maintained till 1873, when the building was converted into a church hall. A new church was built in 1885. Decline in membership was due in some measure to the opening of five new churches in the neighbourhood, and also to emigration.
Alex. Philip, M.A., 1843-1845
George Brown, 1846-1857
S. Kennedy, 1859-1863 [Vol.1 says he resigned 1865.]
Thomas Moir, M.A., 1863-1877
P. J. Murdoch, M.A., 1878-1884
N. C. Macfarlane, 1885-1893
Donald Stewart, M.A., 1893 — .
At the Disruption the adherents of the Free Church here formed a congregation, and acquired possession of an Independent church in the place. A missionary was forthwith appointed. The charge was sanctioned in 1845. The manse was erected in 1847. Later the church was rebuilt on the same site.
R. Philip, M.A., 1846-1853
Wm. Ferguson, M.A., 1854 — — [Vol.1 spells his name Fergusson.]
Alex. H. Reid, M.A., 1894 — .
From 1844 evening services were held in a granary in the village of Newburgh, by preachers from Aberdeen and elsewhere. A congregation was formed and a probationer appointed. The church was erected in 1847-48. The charge was sanctioned in 1852. The manse was built in 1856. The church was 2¾ miles from Newburgh. In 1887 a hall was erected in that village, and evening service regularly conducted there.
John S. Clark, M.A., 1855-1886
W. B. Inglis, B.D.. 1886-1896
J. G. D. Scott, M.A., 1897 — .
Immediately after the Disruption a congregation was formed here. In response to a petition from the people, regular supply was granted in the summer of 1846. For two years public worship was held in the hall of William Grant, merchant. The church was erected in 1848. The charge was sanctioned in 1849. The manse was built in 1850. The congregation suffered from rural depopulation and emigration.
Alex. L. Forbes, M.A., 1850-1852
John Mennie, M.A., 1853-1886
H. E. Michie, 1887-1895
John Haggart, 1896 — .
The minister of the parish, and many of his people, “came out” in 1843. Church and manse were erected that year on sites granted by Alexander Thomson of Banchory—the church in the village of Summerhill. The congregation suffered considerably when Messrs. Crombie removed their works from Cothal Mill. The opening of Dyce Free Church also took some members away. In 1845 New Machar was transferred from the Presbytery of Aberdeen to that of Ellon.
George Moir, M.A., 1843-1857
Alex. Thain, 1858-1863
J. E. Duguid, 1864 — .
The minister of the parish, and most of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. Church, manse, and school, with schoolhouse, were forthwith erected. Later the school was converted into a church hall. This was the largest purely rural congregation in Aberdeenshire. In a declining population the congregation maintained its proportion of members.
Geo. Garioch, M.A., M.D., 1843-1872
Alex. Cumming, 1860-1867
John Paterson, 1868-1878
Robert Urquhart, M.A., 1879 — .
After the Disruption this parish was put under the charge of the minister of Cruden. Services were maintained with some regularity. It was proposed to form a preaching station with a probationer in charge. But in 1857 the people were deprived of their place of worship, and compelled that summer to worship in the open air. A church was erected in 1862. The charge was sanctioned in 1874. When the minister retired in 1892, the charge was reduced to a station.
1865, 62; 1892, 48.
Geo. Manson, 1875-1892.
The congregation here was organised by the Presbytery of Ellon on July 14, 1843. A church was built, and opened in November following. The manse was erected in 1844. A new church was erected on a more satisfactory site in 1864. The congregation was greatly indebted to the superior, Sir William Seton, who was an acting elder.
Geo. Archibald, 1843-1887 [He retired in 1881, Vol.1.]
George Abel, 1881 — .
This congregation was organised as a station in 1877 to meet the needs of the people for whom the churches in Peterhead were too far away. A church and manse were erected. The charge was sanctioned in 1886. The congregation was affected by the state of the herring fishing year by year, the fishermen migrating from place to place.
D. J. Macleod, 1886 — .
This congregation, formerly Original Secession, joined the Free Church in 1852, carrying their property with them. The manse seems to have been built before 1834, and was afterwards enlarged. The church was built in 1784 on the estate of Kinmundy. A new church was erected on the same site in 1863. The church served a wide district, standing a considerable distance from any other.
Geo. M’Crie, 1852-1878
W. Mackay Sutherland, B.D., 1879 — .
The congregation here was formed immediately after the Disruption, and regular services provided. The information now available regarding buildings is somewhat meagre. Steps were taken at once for the erection of a church. Some years elapsed before a schoolhouse and manse were built.
W. S. Donald, 1844-1864
Wm. Paterson, 1865 — [Vol.1 says he retired to Edinburgh in 1889.]
Joseph Forrest, M.A., 1890 — .
In 1890, dissatisfied with the election of a minister in the Free Church, a number of members left and formed a second charge. They purchased a church formerly used for Episcopal services. The charge was sanctioned in 1891.
John Robson, 1891 — .
In July 1843 services were begun here in a disused inn. A church was erected in 1845. The charge was sanctioned in that year. The manse was built in 1849. Subsequently it was remodelled and renovated. The population of the district was seriously affected by emigration and the transference of young people to the towns.
T. Lockerby Wilson, 1849-1894
William Young, 1890 — .
Occasional services were held here in connection with the Free Church until, in 1865, a station was formed. A Free Church school had been built in 1848. The church was erected in 1867. The charge was sanctioned in 1875. A house was purchased in 1877, and adapted for a manse. The congregation owed much in early days to the kind help and counsel of Charles A. Barclay of Aberdour House. The population of the district tended to decrease.
W. M’Robbie, M.A., 1875-1878
Wm. Dymock, M.A., 1878 — .
Vol.1 tells us that Gilbert Brown the parish minister came out at the Disruption and the Fasti Vol.6 tells us that he was Free Church minister there till his death in 1852. This congregation doesn’t seem to figure in Ewing’s congregational list.
Gilbert Brown, 1843-1852]
This congregation was begun as a mission immediately after the Disruption. The services were held at first in a booth in the market-place. A wooden church was erected at Culsh in 1843. The charge was sanctioned in August 1844. A church was erected on the site of the wooden building in 1845. The manse was built in 1846. A new church was built in 1885, in the village of New Deer. The growth of a large village at New Maud railway station brought an accession to the congregation.
Richard Gavin, 1844-1855
Archibald Gardner, 1856-1877
Jacob Linklater, M.A., 1877-1888
Wm. Beveridge, M.A., 1889 — .
This congregation was formed immediately after the Disruption, and regular services were provided. The church was erected in 1847. The charge was sanctioned in 1860. The manse was built in 1861. After Mr. Taylor’s death a union was effected with the United Presbyterian congregation of Whitehill, in January 1898, and a United Presbyterian probationer became minister of the united charge.
Robert Taylor, 1861-1897
George B. Goldie, 1898 — .
Regular services were provided at Stewartfield, where a congregation was formed immediately after the Disruption. Church and manse were erected. The charge was sanctioned in 1845. In 1897 the health of the minister of the neighbouring United Presbyterian church failed; and a union was effected between the two congregations in October of that year. The united congregation became a United Presbyterian charge.
1848, 320; 1893, 180.
Alex. Urquhart, 1845-1897 [Vol.1 gives no date for termination of his ministry here.]
J. M. Skinner, M.A., 1884-1897
The minister and congregation of St. Peter’s Chapel-of-Ease “came out” in 1843. The church, built in 1842, was just ready for occupation at the Disruption, and it was opened as a Free Church. A manse was purchased then. A split in the congregation issued in the formation of a new charge, the South Free Church, sanctioned in 1875. The old manse was sold, and a new one built in 1885. In 1897 the interior of the church was reconstructed, and a hall was erected.
James Yuill, 1843 —
James Halliday, M.A., 1880 — .
Owing to a split in St. Peter’s Free Church, a Territorial mission was begun in 1872. Services were at first held in a hall in Chapel Street. The charge was sanctioned in 1875. The church was erected in 1878-79, and the manse in 1889.
Alex. Bissett, M.A., 1874-1883
Adam Maxwell, 1883-1888
G. W. Alison, 1888 — .
The congregation was formed soon after the Disruption and regular services were provided. The charge was sanctioned in 1845. In that year the church was erected. The manse was built in 1846.
James Murdoch, 1846-1884
L. MacLauchlan, 1895 — .
The minister and the majority of the congregation of Inverallochy quoad sacra church “came out” in 1843. They were joined by members and adherents from the parishes of Lonmay and Rathen. Church and manse were erected shortly after the Disruption. The growth of the fishing villages, Cairnbulg, Inverallochy, and St. Combs, balanced in some measure the decrease in population due to emigration, and the movement of young people to the large towns. The adherents in the congregation were about equal in number to the members.
Alex. Cobban, M.A., 1843-1880
J. S. Carroll, D.D., 1881-1883
J. S. Stewart, M.A., 1883-1893
J. C. Lawson, B.D., 1894 — .
The minister of the parish and many of his congregation adhered to the Free Church in 1843. Progress was somewhat hindered by the prolonged vacancy after Mr. Anderson’s translation. The church was erected in 1846, and the manse in 1848-49. A hall was built later. The feeling between Intrusionists and Non-Intrusionists in St. Fergus was very bitter, and unseemly incidents were of frequent occurrence. It is interesting to note that Hugh Miller’s paper, The Witness, really made the Free Church men and principles in St. Fergus. A company of men met regularly in the carpenter’s shop, where one of their number read aloud from The Witness. Earnest discussion followed; and when they separated, these men acted as apostles and disseminators of non-intrusion views. The congregation consisted mainly of crofters, with a few artisans and merchants. Emigration and the movement to large towns told against its prosperity.
James Anderson, D.D., 1843-1845 [Vol. 1 says he was translated in 1843.]
A. F. Moir, M.A., 1848-1860
John Ross, 1861-1870
Alex. Linn, 1871-1877
Peter Thomson, M.A., 1877-1880
John Skinner, D.D., 1880-1886
A. P. Davidson, M.A., 1886-1890
James Strachan, M.A., 1890 — .
Two elders and many of the congregation of the parish church “came out” at the Disruption. Services in connection with the Free Church were begun in June 1843. A church was erected in 1843-44, and a manse in 1850. In 1890 the church was found to be insecure. A new church on a more convenient site was erected in 1894.
Alexander Keith, 1844-1889
John Tainsh, 1872-1878
John R. Bruce, 1878-1898 [Vol.1 says he resigned in 1892.]
H. L. Moir, M.A., 1892 — .
The minister of the parish acted and voted with the Evangelicals up to the Disruption, but failed to take the final step. The few who adhered to the Free Church in the district met at first with strenuous opposition. Services were regularly conducted by John Matheson of Forgue and John Manson of Fyvie until 1850, when a probationer was appointed. They worshipped first in a crofter’s barn at Gordonstown. Ejected from this, they met for a time in the open air. Then they secured the unoccupied end of the miller’s cottage at Bankhead. This became too small for the congregation. Mr. Barclay of Knockleith, to whose hostility much of their trouble had been due, then relented, and offered the use of an unoccupied house near the miller’s. In November 1846 they were again crowded out. Mr. Barclay gave them the house rent free during the remainder of his lease. With a few alterations humble but comfortable accommodation was obtained. At length in 1862 the church was erected on a site given in perpetual feu by Mr. Duff of Hatton, at a nominal rent of one shilling per annum. The charge was sanctioned in 1870, and the manse was built in 1871. Mr. Barclay became an elder in the congregation.
[Alexander Anderson, 1852-1855 – see Vol.1]
A. J. Crystall, 1870-1886 [Vol.1 Chrystall]
John Scott, 1886 — .
The minister of the parish and many of his people adhered to the Free Church at the Disruption. A site was obtained, and the church erected in 1844. The manse was built in 1850.
W. Garden Blaikie, D.D., 1843-1844
Murdoch M’Kay, M.A., 1844-1845
Alex. Forbes, 1848-1897
A. S. Marshall, 1898 — .
The minister of the parish and many of his people “came out” in 1843. The church and manse were erected in 1846. They were renovated in 1878. The congregation suffered through steady decrease of the population.
Joseph Thorburn, 1843-1844
Alex. Balfour, 1845-1872
William Grant, 1873-1885
Wilson Cowie, 1885-1889
Peter M’Laren, M.A., 1890 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption by those who adhered to the Free Church in the parish. Church and manse were erected in 1844. The manse was burned to the ground when ready for occupation, but was speedily restored. In 1843 the population of the parish was 2400; in 1900 it was 1100.
John Matheson, M.A., 1843-1864
Alex. Wishart, 1864 — .
The minister of Fyvie, and a large number of his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. The church was erected in 1843, and the manse in 1844. Afterwards a hall was added, and the church enlarged. The congregation suffered heavily through rural depopulation.
1848, 386, 1900, 150.
John Manson, M.A., 1843-1872
Wm. Ewan, M.A., 1868 — .
This congregation was organised as a station about 1850, and a small church was erected. The charge was sanctioned in 1865. A new church was built in 1866, and a manse in 1870. The revival on the north-east coast about 1860 greatly stimulated the congregation, but it suffered heavily through emigration, and the movement to large towns.
John Rae, M.A., 1866-1872
D. S. Dykes, 1872 — .
The people in this parish who at the Disruption adhered to the Free Church, formed a congregation, and church and manse were forthwith erected. A new church, with hall, session-room, and vestry, was built in 1899. The population remained fairly constant. The main industry—fishing—involved frequent long absences from home on the part of the fishermen.
William Leslie, 1843-1867
Joseph Gardner, M.A., 1867 — .
The minister of the parish, and a large proportion of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They worshipped first in the open air and then in the Temperance Hall in the village, until their own church was opened in December 1844. The Earl of Fife had refused ground in any reasonable position. The congregation were glad to accept the site somewhat unwillingly granted by James Lumsden of Auchry, in an old, disused quarry, and there the church was built. The manse was erected in 1868.
Hugh Gordon, 1843-1866
James Simpson, 1867 — .
This congregation was formed at the Disruption with about 100 members. They worshipped in a small chapel kindly lent by the Congregational church at Millseat, until their own building was ready in 1844. The manse was erected in 1847. The church was pulled down, and a new church built on the same site in 1898. This was a country congregation, and the membership fluctuated with the changes of farmers and farm servants.
James Sutherland, D.D., 1845 —
R. S. Simpson, D.D., 1890-1896
W. Logan, B.D., 1896 — .
The minister of the parish, and a large congregation, “came out” in 1843. The church was erected forthwith. A manse also was provided.
F. W. Grant, 1843-1858
Archibald Smellie, 1857-1863
J. W. Geddie, 1864 — .
The minister of the parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. The church was erected in 1844, in the village of Whitehills, at the extreme end of the parish. Owing to distance, some of the Boyndie parishioners joined Ordiquhill and Ord, and some the Portsoy congregation. The manse was built in 1847. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1871.
Alexander Anderson, M.A., 1843-1845
Robert Traill, LL. D., 1846-1880
William Anderson, 1868 — .
The minister of this quoad sacra parish “came out” in 1843. The church had to be vacated in 1846, after the lawsuit in which it was one of the test quoad sacra cases. In 1847 a new church was built, the former Free Church school being incorporated and added to, as church halls. A house, supposed to be a manse, in 1843, was not claimed by either Established or Free Church. A house, purchased for a manse in 1875, was sold when the new manse was built in 1888. Two halls were provided in different parts of the town. Owing to trouble in the congregation Mr. Shanks resigned, and the church was declared vacant in November 1858. Ultimately Mr. Shanks withdrew his resignation, and was reponed by Special Commission of Assembly in June 1859. A section of the congregation then seceded, and were afterwards constituted a congregation of tlie United Presbyterian Church. The parish church of Rathven was a mile distant. In the village and in the district to the west there was a large Roman Catholic population.
Robert Shanks, M.A., 1843-1884
Alexander Miller, D.D., 1875 — .
At the Disruption a small company met for worship in a carpenter’s shed at Portknockie. A church was built, and opened in June 1844. The congregation was then fully organised, and the charge was sanctioned in October following. The congregation profited by the revival of 1859-60. It suffered heavily through emigration and removals to large towns.
John Mackay, 1845 —
John Forgan, 1876-1884
Alexander Soutar, M.A., 1885-1888 [Vol.1 says he was ordained 1886.]
John Hall, 1889-1894
William Ross, M.A., 1894 — .
The minister of the parish, and the majority of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. They met at first in a barn; the church was opened in 1844. The manse was erected in 1845, and afterwards considerably enlarged. The church was renovated in 1900. The population of the parish steadily declined.
George Innes, 1843-1851
W. T. Ker, M.A., 1852-1883
J. Morrison, M.A., 1888 — .
At the Disruption the people who adhered to the Free Church here formed a congregation, and met for worship in a shed on a neighbouring farm until their church was opened in 1844. A school was built in 1847, and the manse in 1849. Later the church was enlarged and a small vestry built. In 1886 it was renovated and reseated. In 1900 a large hall was erected in the village of Port Gordon for evening services.
C. W. Barclay, 1844-1896 [He became senior minister, 1884; retired, 1886 and died, 1896.]
Archibald Kerr, 1884 — .
The minister of the parish had taken the part of the Evangelicals, but at the Disruption he stayed in the establishment. The people who “came out” at once formed a congregation. For some months they met for worship in the barn at Rumblingpots, put at their disposal by Mr. Macdonald the farmer; then in Mr. Strachan’s carpenter’s shop in the village of Fordyce, until their church was opened in the spring of 1844. The charge was sanctioned in August of that year. The manse was built in 1846. When Mr. Mackay retired, in 1872, the charge was reduced to a station. Sanction was restored in 1876. The population of the district tended to decrease.
M. Mackay, M.A., 1845-1872
Ebenezer Maclean, 1877-1893
James Robertson, M.A., 1894 — .
The minister of Ord quoad sacra church, and almost all his congregation, “came out” at the Disruption. The church was built in 1844, in the village of Cornhill, midway between Ord and Ordiquhill churches, to accommodate the people from both places. The manse was erected soon afterwards, and subsequently enlarged. The congregation suffered from decrease of the population, for reasons common to such districts.
David Brown, D.D., 1843 — [Vol.1 says that he was translated to Glasgow – St. James’ in 1843.]
Alexander Spencer, 1845-1874
George G. Macdonald, 1874 — .
The minister of the Seafield Chapel-of-Ease “cameout “ at the Disruption, and was very soon removed to another charge. At first the congregation was combined with that of Cullen, but in 1846 a missionary was appointed for Portknockie and Findochty. No site could be obtained till 1853, when a school was built, which served also as a place of worship. The charge was sanctioned at Portknockie in 1863, but on a condition which could not then be fulfilled. The United Presbyterian church was transferred to the Free Church congregation in 1869, the latter clearing off the debt due on the buildings. In 1875 the congregation was able to fulfil the condition attached to sanction, and a minister was settled.
F. M. Harper, 1875-1877
Peter Brown, B.Sc., 1878 — .
The minister of the parish, and many of his congregation, “came out” in 1843. A church was built, and opened in March 1844. A manse also was provided. The church was reconstructed in 1870, when the spire was added. In 1864, dissatisfied with the settlement effected, a section of the members seceded, and formed a congregation in connection with the United Presbyterian Church. The congregation suffered through change in the principal local industry—fishing. Men, and often their families, had to be absent from home for long periods. Much traffic formerly handled at Portsoy went to Elgin, when in 1886 the railway was extended to that town.
1848, 274, 1900, 240.
Alexander Reid, M.A., 1843-1863
W. W. Peyton, 1864-1878
D. C. Boyd, M.A., 1879-1895
W. J. Street, M.A.. 1895 — .